Fifth Gear Grind

HRDCR21

The Lone Ranger
Got an '03 that has never had any problems with the nv5600. This morning i started to out of nowhere get a grind when going into 5th gear. Every other gear is fine no problems but whenever i upshift or down shift into fifth i get a grind. If i let the rpms fall below 1500 i can sneak it in without it grinding but once its in it doesn't grind or vibrate. Just looking for some insight as to what this could be and where to start if i decide to pull the tranny and fix it. Possible thoughts on 5th gear being bad or maybe the syncro, or even possibly the input shaft bearing. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Drained the fluid this morning and popped open both pto covers and did some looking inside. From what i can see there isn't alot of metal in the fluid and not alot of sludge or metal in the bottom of the trans. Everything really looks pretty clean for 240K miles. Still looking to drop the trans and look into some other issues. Any help would still be appreciated. :nail:

mine does it only when I am trying to shift fast into 5th at higher rpms. it has done it for quite awhile. I am not sure what it would be but syncro could be the issue.

I would guess syncros or a bushing on one of the shift rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk