Finally Finished G56 Swap!

I C Smoke

Banned
Well after doing a little research and some time gathering the parts I finally finished the conversion of putting a G56 6 speed with a SBDD 3600 in my 96 dodge cummins, When i first started this conversion alot of older guys told me that i couldn't accomplish the conversion. Well they were wrong, they told the wrong 18 year old kid that "You Cant do it, its almost impossible." So future refference here is a parts list that will help fellow comp D members if they ever do the same conversion on a reg cab 4x4 12 Valve.

Cross Member from a 98-99 ( Has the same bolt pattern on the fram as the stock one that came in the truck) (I found out the hard way after building one from scratch):nail:

You can use the stock mounting plate that is on your pick-up (if a second Gen) I think there the same on a first gen, but not to sure. The only difference in the 3rd gen mounting plate and the 2nd gen mounting plate is that the 3rd gen mounting plate puts your starter to high therefore hitting the bottom of the floor board and making tight as hell to change the starter.

Note: that the 3rd gen mounting plate's holes will not mach up when bolting it up to the engine. you will have to leave 2 bolts out of it due to the fact the holes do not line up like they should

Shortin your rear drive line to 52 & 3/4" I believe that they cut off about 5 to 6" I think?

Make sure that you put the spacer that comes with a DD Clutch is mounted onto the back of the flywheel.

On the floor boards you will have to put a 1" body lift on the pick-up so that it doen't rub on the passanger side floor board.

Your stock 241 DLD or DHD will bolt upto the G56 with no problem.

You will then need to rob the 4 wheel drive linkage off of a 98 to 04 1/2 cummins so that it will bolt in the same pattern on the lever linkage is still mechanical.

These were the main things that I ran into on the G56 conversion. If someone could pls tell me how to post pics I will so that it will help answer any questions you guys have.

Big thanks To EDP!!

Last edited: