Finally got a real truck

LoganS

MOOOOOO
So finally got my first diesel... but due to recent circumstances I've been a pretty poor owner. I have a few questions though. For starters its an 03 with 164xxx miles on it and stock except for the mystery box.
The biggest problem it has is that it hazes at idle some times, it doesn't seem to matter whether its hot or cold, and it runs smooth. What could be possible causes besides injectors? Also does fleet guard have filters for it if not what is a good company then?
The heated seats don't work. The driver side switch lights up and then soon after turns off. The passenger seat will work for a while and then turn off. The gear selector is dim and can only be seen at night. The temp and compass on the mirror comes and goes, And the lights for the hvac don't come on. So how hard are those minor problems to fix?
And here is the mystery box. Its hard wired in to the harness.
ru3esetu.jpg

aqa5ezev.jpg

It seems like its been on the truck since it was new so can it be causing any problems and just a bit more info on it would be nice?

I know i should google and search but I don't really have all that much time yet so any help would be greatly appreciated.

One box looks like and Edge Juice, and the other Box looks like a BD product, but im not sure which kind. They are two different boxes that you have taken a picture of right?

Its an edge juice, made for bd back then.
The haze is injectors, sorry.
The hvac stuff is probably caused by the multifunction dimmer switch. (blinker stalk) for some reason it runs everything on the dash and will cost over 200 bucks.
Or the actual headlight such on the dash its over 60 bucks but they work in conjunction with each other

You'd probably just have to cross reference the filters somewhere. Snedge may know.

So finally got my first diesel... but due to recent circumstances I've been a pretty poor owner. I have a few questions though. For starters its an 03 with 164xxx miles on it and stock except for the mystery box.
The biggest problem it has is that it hazes at idle some times, it doesn't seem to matter whether its hot or cold, and it runs smooth. What could be possible causes besides injectors? Also does fleet guard have filters for it if not what is a good company then?
The heated seats don't work. The driver side switch lights up and then soon after turns off. The passenger seat will work for a while and then turn off. The gear selector is dim and can only be seen at night. The temp and compass on the mirror comes and goes, And the lights for the hvac don't come on. So how hard are those minor problems to fix?

It seems like its been on the truck since it was new so can it be causing any problems and just a bit more info on it would be nice?

I know i should google and search but I don't really have all that much time yet so any help would be greatly appreciated.

a) Haze at idle is probably injectors. Sorry.
b) WIX filters are good, you can buy those at NAPA.
c) Heated seats could be a number of things. You may have a short in one or more of the elements, the switch could be bad, or possibly its a BCM issue.
d) Dim gear selector is due to bad solder joints on the cluster board. You'd have to pull it apart and resolder some parts. There's a good DIY about it on the Place.
e) Temp and compass may also be a BCM issue. Id look at the body-to-frame grounds first, then move to diagnosing if there are power issues.
f) Lights in the HVAC are probably burnt out bulbs. Very common issue.
Do the controls still work correctly? Does the fan work throughout all its speeds? If not, then Id say the control unit is bad.
g) The box is an early Edge Juice.

Most every problem you've described has been covered over at DP a number of times. Only oddball one is the mirror/temp. Good luck with your truck.

Last edited:
I would check for fuel in oil and the balance rates asap, bad things happen if you run it like that

I do check for fuel and the oil seems to be at the same place, and it smells and tastes like oil haha. I would like to get balance rates done but im just not sure where to go around here.
Ya if figured it was because of the injectors just didn't want to commit my brain to it. Does anybody do an actual rebuild of injectors or is it just replacement? Industrial has stock remans for $222 that seems about the best price i could find between the reputable company's in 15 minutes.

Oh and the programer it has is pretty mild if it even works correct?

Last edited:
you can check your balance rates with a tech II or any scanner. Or EFI live. EFI is the way to go on these trucks. I run Rob's (ATP) tunes and love them. If you are going to do a lot of work on your truck get a V2, very powerful diagnostic tool for the price
I know some of the other canned tunners can do this as well, but I would go EFI

Gotcha probably going to stop by the shop i used to work at on Friday night then. That was just what was on it when i bought it. I already made up my mind that any programer would be EFI live. Since I'm needing injectors I was looking at Industrial's 20% remans good idea or bad or would the 10% be better? I Figured that if they wouldn't be a smoky mess would get them out of the way rather than have to buy stock and rebuy these later. As far as what i want for future power i really don't have a set goal other than a noticeable difference over stock but its not that important to me. If it takes years or if i look back and go well that escalated quickly it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Don't put reman injectors in your truck. Put only NEW injectors in your engine. You will thank me later. 15% over stock NEW injectors will suit you fine.

Last edited:
Don't put reman injectors in your truck. Put only NEW injectors in your engine. You will thank me later. 15% over stock NEW injectors will suit you fine.

i thougt delco remans were supposedly good? and does it matter if he goes with bigger injectors anyways?

Depends on who did the remain, I bosch remains are good stuff. some other shop trying to do it, not so much. I would think 20 overs would be good if you are going to build the trans. But yes, you should watch what you buy, some are crap

Last edited:
Building the trans is item 2 on the list and injectors are only #1 because it has to drive. Industrial injection's site is down right now, but i believe they are a bosch remans and i would assume they do there own work. I don't mean to sound stuck on these at all if anybody as better suggestion let it fly but my top is $300 each and that all depends if i get i mine tested on Friday and and what the results are.