fire damaged my Cummins 5.9 QSB, need advise!

APSMULCHING

I have a wide track forestry mulcher that had a fire in the engine compartment a few months ago. The Cummins QSB 5.9 sustained a lot of damage. I believe the long block is still good but all of the external parts damaged,especially the cast aluminum and plastic parts. I have been looking for a parts engine or possibly a drop in but have found a lot of Dodge 5.9's or truck engines. What is the difference between the ISB and QSB ? My ECM and engine wiring harness are also cooked, are they specific to the application or would a truck one work? My engine is rated at 240 HP @ 2500. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to get it running and making money again? Does anyone know of any good salvage yards that might have an engine? I am located in Northern NJ. I will take some pictures so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:bang

I have a wide track forestry mulcher that had a fire in the engine compartment a few months ago. The Cummins QSB 5.9 sustained a lot of damage. I believe the long block is still good but all of the external parts damaged,especially the cast aluminum and plastic parts. I have been looking for a parts engine or possibly a drop in but have found a lot of Dodge 5.9's or truck engines. What is the difference between the ISB and QSB ? My ECM and engine wiring harness are also cooked, are they specific to the application or would a truck one work? My engine is rated at 240 HP @ 2500. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to get it running and making money again? Does anyone know of any good salvage yards that might have an engine? I am located in Northern NJ. I will take some pictures so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:bang

Mumau Diesel. PM Snedge on here. He will get ya back in the cut.

As said Pm Snedge (Jeff) or call him at the shop 1-724-354-3136 and he will be able to get anything you need.

Build Date: 14 Nov 2000
Marketing Model Name: QSB5.9-C240 ENCORE

its with VP44 fuel pump, besically 98-02 truck engine.

I would buy 98-02 truck engine and convert it to industrial application ..:rolleyes:

Build Date: 14 Nov 2000
Marketing Model Name: QSB5.9-C240 ENCORE

its with VP44 fuel pump, besically 98-02 truck engine.

I would buy 98-02 truck engine and convert it to industrial application ..:rolleyes:
I think that would be the cheapest way. How could I find out what is different about it? Are all VP44 pumps the same? I would really like to put a common rail 5.9 or 6.7 in it for the reduced noise, but I don't want to make it into a bigger project than it already is.

I think that would be the cheapest way. How could I find out what is different about it? Are all VP44 pumps the same? I would really like to put a common rail 5.9 or 6.7 in it for the reduced noise, but I don't want to make it into a bigger project than it already is.

The flywheel housing from your VP engine will not bolt to the back of a common rail ("CR") engine, therefore you would need to buy a housing from cummins. The CR engine can easily be converted into a stand alone power unit, which is what you would need, and the electronic controls from the VP engine can be made to control a CR engine if it's an '03-'05 year model.

The flywheel housing from your VP engine will not bolt to the back of a common rail ("CR") engine, therefore you would need to buy a housing from cummins. The CR engine can easily be converted into a stand alone power unit, which is what you would need, and the electronic controls from the VP engine can be made to control a CR engine if it's an '03-'05 year model.

So if I replaced the ECM and engine wiring harness with what I had originally, it should hook up to a '03-'05 CR engine? Then order a bell housing to hook up to the Funk pump drive? Can the exhaust manifold that I currently have bolt up to the CR engine OK? It puts the turbo on top. My engine has an air compressor, could I use my front cover from my VP engine? Does it matter if I get an engine from an automatic or manual truck?

So if I replaced the ECM and engine wiring harness with what I had originally, it should hook up to a '03-'05 CR engine? Then order a bell housing to hook up to the Funk pump drive? Can the exhaust manifold that I currently have bolt up to the CR engine OK? It puts the turbo on top. My engine has an air compressor, could I use my front cover from my VP engine? Does it matter if I get an engine from an automatic or manual truck?

In this case you must replace with a VP engine or a 12v...the CR has too many differences that make it incompatible. Unless you would get a rear gear industrial CR.

Does anyone know where I could find a used or surplus engine? I'm waiting on a price on a reman from Mumau Diesel but I'm thinking it's gonna be big bucks.

I can only get long block from Cummins, they don't offer a complete drop in. I guess I'll have to piece it back together. The cast aluminum valve cover melted on one side, does anyone know how much heat it would take to do that? I pulled the valve cover of and there is some melted plastic on each rocker arm where they connect to the push rods so I guess a new set of rocker arms also.

i have a line of 24v engines. pm me if interested. cost is $1500.00
Hey smc953, I tried to PM you but the forum wont let me yet because I'm too new to this forum. Can you PM me with some info on what you have that might work for me? Thanks

Does anyone know where I could find a used or surplus engine? I'm waiting on a price on a reman from Mumau Diesel but I'm thinking it's gonna be big bucks.

Hey. Check your PMs I have a price list to fax over. :Cheer:

If I find a 5.9 built for a Dodge will I have problems with the crank shaft, cam shaft, pump, or turbo being different? I know the ecm needs to be changed to my original. Is it true that the horse power rating is all in the ecm program? What is the deal with the CPL number and how do I find an engine with the same CPL or one that is compatible with mine?

Pictures of fire damage QSB

Here are some pics of my equipment that caught fire. Most of the heat was concentrated around the engine.

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG