Fire Rings - Long Term Reliability?

Immortl

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the long term reliability of fire rings?

I had arp studs and the stock ford gasket put in my truck last winter but the gaskets are leaking again (heads were pulled today, both sides were leaking). I suspect improper installation (discovered this week a whole lot of the work from last winter wasn't done properly or as described), but am not sure.

I am considering fire rings this time around because I don't want to have to do this again, but heard from Hypermax that while great for competition use, the long term reliability of fire rings isn't great. They said over time between heat the pressure the rings can fatigue and crack.

My goal here is to put it back together once and for all and not have to worry about it again.

Thanks
Joe

Just like the gaskets alone. flip a coin as to lasting more than 10k. Some are fine for years, others never seem to last.

Just use the stock gasket. I have been beating the living **** out of mine. Trying to kill it.

I second the stock gasket. Make sure they actually send the head out and have it checked.

I have fire rings for 2 year now and havent had any problems to speak of.

I would suggest just staying with a stock MLS style gasket ARP studs and flat crack free heads. Like said above have the heads magnafluxed and make sure the the block is flat too..there are alot of variables it seems.

Thanks guys. I will definitely have the heads checked as well as the deck as much as I can (lifted the cab, so motor is still in the frame). Was told they were fine last time but...

I'm still somewhat undecided. I understand that fire rings would be quite a bit of overkill for my situation, but I'm trying to get the best I can. Just not sure what that is yet in terms of longevity and reliability.

Thanks,
Joe

Back