First Diesel build reccomendations.

bwescott

Hi, am new to the board and need some advice. Just finishing up a 75 Power Wagon project, looking forward to the next one, which will be my first diesel project. Always been a mopar man, but want some advice on building a diesel. Thinking that I want to swap a 12 valve into an old four door power wagon. Want to run a VE pumped 12 valve and an NV4500, at around 300 to 350 horses and about 700 to 750 ft/lb. The truck will be used as daily driver that I can tow with (IE EGT wont get to hot on long passes) I live near 4,000 ft and regularly go higher. Would not mind some smoke when starting out, but would like it to be reasonable, don’t want to kill mileage. Does this sound like a reasonable expectation for power? How can I make this kind of power?

Was thinking that I would start with a non IC motor, add a power stroke IC, open up the exhaust, say a 4” single split to 4” duals exiting behind the tires. But where do I go from there, injectors, turbo, fuel pin, pump tuning etc, please be specific. Don’t mind scrounging used parts and heavy fabrication, its actually preferred. Project is still in the planning stages, but any help would be appreciated. Really like the simplicity of old trucks and think a diesel would be good for my next project, and as always want to keep it mopar/cummins. Thanks guys, Buck Wescott

I would say intercooler wise you are going to have to take some measurements and see what will fit before you buy anything. I'm not sure what radiator support and grill combo you are planning on running. Other than that to help keep it cool you will need a better turbo. Fuel wise a denny t pin or something similar/grind your own, and some pump tuning should get you close. Since you are building it anyways put 1/2 fuel lines an a better lift pump set up on many different options available. Also do yourself a favor and put a good clutch in it the first time. Others should chime in with more.

Have you decided what grille/core support your gonna use yet, That will determine which intercooler you want to use. PS cooler fits an IC core support better whereas a 2nd gen cooler fits a N/IC support better.

BTW how much do you tow

Good Idea to start with a N/IC motor. A set of 370 sticks should get you real close with some good tuning and enough air. Heck the stock N/IC stick should get you in the ball park also.

Thanks guys,
Redneckroot, what turbo would you reccomend though? Remember, I still just starting out with this diesel stuff.
Pulltilbroke, Havent figured out what rad support would want to use, definately stock grill off mid 70's power wagon, but behind the scenes heavy fabrication is no problem. Have looked at my 75 versus my 91 and not able to tell a difference in nose length of the trucks yet, but really havent gotten a tape measure out to get exact. Are there power benefits to either the 2nd gen versus Power Stroke IC? As far as towing, usually run around empty, but its not uncommon to hook up to 8,000 lb on highway trips and even up to 13,000 lb equiptment, but never more and generally only for around town when that heavy.
Thanks for your help guys, am slowly learning, tyring to read pick up from your experience.

Honestly it is hard to recommend a turbo until you know exactly what you want to do fuel wise. A set of twins would be the best if you don't plan on using the vehicle in competition at all. Radiator support wise you need to check the distance from the back of the grill into the radiator support and then side to side. If you use your gas radiator support you will be doing some cutting and fabricating to get a diesel radiator to clear the fan and mount up. Then you have to make sure you have room on each side of it to run the pipes to the intercooler.

A buddy of mine just did a crew conversion and used a 80 support but drilled all the spot welds and used I/C support bracing to run a 1st gen cooler behind the 80 grille. turned out real nice. Are you planning on running A/C?

The 2nd gen and PS coolers are very compairable.

not planning on running air at first, want to build it simple, make sure it works, then make it nice. All started because I am finishing up my 75 power wagon, but always like to have a project. Saw an 84 with a p-pump 12 valve on craigslist for sale, started thinking about how much i would like to have a diesel in my power wagon and four doors. Dang projects will keep a guy busy.