First mountain tow...have questions

grady02

Did my first mountain tow this weekend to black rock mountain in north Ga. pulling a 26 ft camper approx 6k. Its 2 miles of steady grade, not sure what % and constant tight turns. I was worried something was going to break the whole way up. It felt like the rear end was bouncing in on every curve. Is that because of the posi rear end? I have an auto trans and it stayed in first gear all the way up. Dont think i got over 15 mph because the curves were so constant. Trans temp was 192* when i got to the state park at the top and I could smell gear oil from the rear end. Engine temp never got over 200*. Yall let me know what what you think about the bouncing.

I am a huge fan of rear air bags to help make a heavy tow more stable. Especially for long distances for the side to side motion you get on the freeways. If you look in my sig, the truck has a jeep in the trailer and a 2500 lb camper on it..

Rear end should not get hot enough for you too smell oil, it might not have the right type of oil in it for the posi unit. I bought a dually one time with a locker that had the wrong fluid in it, needless to say the locker welded itself together.
Now when i buy a new ride i change every out every oil front to back regardless.