First start after overhaul

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
Got it back together and the damn block heater leaks... Any good sources for the gasket?? Cummins says I have to buy the whole heater unit..

Beyond that.. I cranked it for about 2.5 minutes total, in 20-25 second intervals, and have no oil pressure.. I have the valve covers off and there is no oil coming up there, and no oil and the 11mm plug on the filter head..
I filled the filter when I installed it, and then put 11 quarts in the motor..

I'm gonna get the fuel system primed tomorrow and try again, but I'm worried about the oil pressure... Is this normal? or should I get some pressure from cranking and see oil in the lifter area??

Thanks
Brad

there is a lot of area to move that oil through it might take a tad longer.
once it fires it should build oil preasure pretty quickly ! might let it run 30 seconds to see if oil starts to flow if not kill it let it set a minute and fire it up again should flow pretty quickly then. remeber the motor was apart all the mains , lifters ect have to get oil through them before it hits the top of the motor.

Make SURE you have the right gasket for the oil cooler. There's 3 that have the wrong oil passage and only one that has the correct hole in it. If it's the wrong one, there won't be oil in the right place.

bnradon.

Yeah the oil cooler gasket had me for a few as there was 3 in the kit. I just put the gasket on that matched the one that came off of it, and that lined up with all the holes. I still have the old one I can take a pic of, but they were an exact match..

I'm gonna put fuel to it tomorrow and go from there.. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks
Brad

:tree: :rockwoot: :woohoo: :woohoo: :ylsuper: :snoop:

IT RUNS... Man I'm so relieved..
Been so long since I drove it I forgot how rough it rides, but man I'm happy it back together...

I torqued the head studs 3 times when I put the head on, should I retorque them tomorrow after driving around tonight? Or should I wait a few days to retorque them. I'll be poking around town all next week as the commute to work is 70 miles.. Gonna try to keep it local until 4-500 miles.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice and help.. I wouldn't have been able to tackle this without resources like this. :bow:

Gonna go drivin :rockwoot:

I'd get 3-4 heat cycles on the head gasket before re-torquing it while it's warm.

bnraodn.