first time pulling - looking for advice/set up.

CumminsCrazed

hey guys, im gonna hook for the first time next sat locally and im just looking for advice on what to do the best i can do with my set up as well as how to set the truck up for next weekend.

Heres what i have for a list so far done to the truck

Edge COMP hot unlock
SBC SDD3600 dual disc (street clutch - non SFI approved)
FASS 150
7x0.011 injectors
Maxspool dual valve springs
Maxspool billet pushrods
Maxspool 184/215 cam
AFE bladerunner intake
Industrial Injection super phatshaft 64 turbo
3 pc exhaust manifold
ARP studded and O Ringed head

As far as suspension goes i have a set of traction bars as well as suspension stops ill be using for the pull. i will also ditch my 35s for my 285/75R16 good year duratracs to pull with. I have 3.55 gearing and an NV5600. transmission.

My truck defuels right around 3400-3500 RPM so i dont have a LOT of RPM to play with. ive also noticed with my truck that my turbo has a BAD case of chuffing right between 20 and 30 psi whether im empty or hooked to a trailer. However once i get past 30 psi its fine again - not sure what thats all about. My exhaust temps at WOT empty are also between 1400 and 1500 deg.

Anyway as far as what ive told you guys - unless im missing vital needed info - whats gonna be the best way to set up my truck for pulling in an 8000 lb class and whats gonna be my best gear/range to pull in.

Like i said, this is first time so the more info you guys can give me the better off ill be. If im missing needed info let me know and ill get that asap to ya.

Thanks guys!

Don't do it!!!!!!

You'll thank me later for the thousands and thousands of dollars you'll save by not getting hooked!!!!

LOL

Good luck to ya!

What class are you pulling in 2.5,2.6? and depends on how serious you want to be, if so then gear change will be on your list. Is this also a street truck? or just for competition use? also what gear do you pull in?

Last edited:
Put it in 4-low and use 4th gear in the nv5600. Rev it up to 3500, and slowly but steadily let the clutch out. I would aim my mirror down to see the rear tire, when I see the tire has made about 1 revolution I knew I should be off the clutch and hammered down. Your truck should pull good right around 3200rpms and be making full boost. I can look back thru my old videos and find some from when i was running the vp and a TST setup only turning a max of 3700rpms to show you. The key is not to sit there slipping the clutch for 5-10 seconds like alot of newbies do. My first pull ever I came off the line thinking I was Van Haisley lighting a HX83 back in 2007 and about wore the clutch out in the first hook. LOL

^^^ what he said and also don't use a straight clevis for a hitch!! atleast a twisted one or if can make something to work. Seen to many break there clevis

What class are you pulling in 2.5,2.6? and depends on how serious you want to be, if so then gear change will be on your list. Is this also a street truck? or just for competition use? also what gear do you pull in?

its a "run what ya bring" type of class, they just call it diesel truck class - 8000lbs

its my daily driver and never pulled before

Just go to have fun and not to win, that is why I keep going. A lot of people forget its suppose to be fun.

Depends on how you drive it out of the hole, regardless it probably wont hold and if it does the life will be shortened a lot. Theirs no such thing as just one hook either, dint kid yourself

Ok thing Is I need to still have it as a daily driver so I need a clutch that has some street manners

A question you need to ask yourself.... Can you buy a clutch right now to replace the one you have? If you can't, then you better just watch. If you have the cash now for replacement parts.... Then go for it.

I would never recommend pulling a truck sat night, and count on it to get to work on Monday.

And also..... See my post above!

$.02

Any other thoughts on pulling with a SB dd3600? That's what I have behind my G56, and have the itch to pull!

Once or twice maybe, but understand that clutch was not intended to be used for sled pulling....

I have South bends dual disk pulling clutch and it.shifts nice on the street when I have drove it around

I know of a guy who smoked one when he hooked to the sled... And that was a 12v with a 63/68 charger... If you need the clutch Monday morning then I'd sit on the bed n watch the rest...

Back