First two CA pulls

SMOKIN93

Anyone going to Newman april 12? What about Los banos May 4?
I think my brother is taking my truck to Newman, but I should be around for Los Banos. Anybody else gonna go? Hopefully there will be some other Diesels and some new diesel pullers too.

I hope so as well. I am planning on going to Newman just to spectate but not if there are only a small show of say 2 or 3 diesels.
Man, I need to come into some money fast as this downtime is killing me.:bang

Joe

are thay at the highschool? and what time? thats close to me so if i break something i can get it home easy.

No, VTPA holds their pull @ the high school. This event will be held @ Hills Ferry Raceway on the east side of Newman and the 33. It is a small flat track dirt bike track with some of the best sled pulling dirt Cali has to offer. None of that dusty So. Cal sand.

I believe it should start @ 2:00 pm like the others have in the past. L&L usually puts a flyer up on their site but nothing yet.

Anyone else going to go?? Sounds like it is going to be a snoozer for the diesel crowd.

Joe

I will be there pulling my brothers truck, and my cousin will be there with his 12 valve. I doubt the turnout will be worth the drive for you Joe.

only 4 diesels showed up, we had a good time until my cousin broke the sled on his second hook. I will have video up as soon as i can get this stupid camera to load it on the computer. Its quite entertaining.

well that sucks--I painted and put furniture together vs working on my truck or attending----figured I better build some points so that I can work on my truck and get to some events this yr--now to see that video.......chris

Broke the sled!? How did that happen??

Joe

Usually the shear pin on the drivshaft yoke snaps, stopping the drive for the box. Somebody probably hopped pretty good in front of the sled, causing it to break.

-Tom

I'm guessing it can't be beefed up or it would've been done---Tom any ideas of what the fix could be---just wondering if maybe there was a way to chip in to help this not happen---maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see---chris

Probably drill out the hole and use a larger diameter pin, but if its too tough, it will break something else. That sled has something along the lines of an SM-465 Chevy 4-speed transmission in it to control the speed of the box. The pin that usually breaks is just in front of it. The best solution would probably beef up the entire drive, including driveshafts, yokes and u-joints. It usually only breaks though when someone gets to bouncing in front of the sled, the constant "stop-go" caused by the bouncing will make the shear pin break.

-Tom

thanks and you're most likely right that fix "A" and part "B" gives up---I'm sure they've thought this out though and it's probably best to break that than something else---just sucks to break and it sounds like it isn't a fast repair----if I get time I'll try and call them tomorrow ---chris

I am not sure if the drive pin broke or if the transmission just came outta gear. After we got the weight box back down (it hit the stop so hard that it dented the front of the weight box and got stuck at the top) we found a broken and missing u-joint cap, although the u-joint was still in place. All I have to say is that I feel bad for Michael because he got beat up pretty bad during the ride. You will see what I mean in the video which is being uploaded right now.

yikes--gonna need safety equipment to drive that thing from now on---lucky he didn't get tossed straight out of the cockpit---looks like whatever moves the weight broke or came disengaged---chris

Looks like there was a problem before you started. In the video you can see Micheal trying to wave off the pull right after you got the sled moving. Almost looks like he wasn't ready at all for you to start. Wonder if the flag man at the other end jumped the gun?

BBD

I'll have to watch it again---I was watching the truck to see if it bounced---chris

yep I'd have to agree with BBD---lucky, very lucky nothing to serious happened to Mike---chris

Jeez, yeah he did almost get seriously hurt. Looks like he smacked his head on the left side pillar. Guess they will be throwing some seat belts on that thing now too.

Joe