Flex joint in compound's hot-pipe

BC847

Does anyone have any experience in running one of the sleeved/bellows type flexible sections in a hot-pipe? I've seen instances where folks run them in their external waste-gate's discharge line.

How about the main hot-pipe between the primary and secondary?

What drives my question is that looking around the internets I've noticed at least one mfg says to not use with over 20psig.

Those offered by Vibrant look like what I'm after: Vibrant Performance ::.

Anybody know of any alternate devices?

Thanks guys. :)

I run exactly these on my dd it sees 70psi daily. Just make sure you put some cable braces on it because it will stretch it out

755b9036b148a99a5ecd55de91b68be3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responding.

Do you know of anyone who runs them in their HOT-PIPE?

Cat uses a short one on the 15 liter ACERT engine. It's about 5 inches flange to flange and has an internal shield to keep heat off the corrugated portion. They also use non shielded versions in the charge air side. Might be worth looking into

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

They're used between the down-pipe and the mid-pipe on most of our school buses. It is the first part of the exhaust to fail.

They're used between the down-pipe and the mid-pipe on most of our school buses. It is the first part of the exhaust to fail.

Rarely ever see the hot one fail on an Acert. The one between the stages will crack when people don't get the pipes lined up right.

Is it because of too much flex from movement, or too much thermal stress, or corrosion . . . . . . . or all the preceding?

I honestly don't know. I'm in parts and I know we replace a lot of them. I've asked and most say it's the thermal stress.

Thanks guys. My hot-pipe will be rigidly affixed at both ends. I'm contemplating using one of the SS lined-bellows type to accommodate thermal expansion/contraction.

Again, Thanks. :Cheer:

They are 500,000 mile parts on the cats, and I dare say 1,000,000 or more . They also run 40+ psi on a regular basis. Alignment has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Alignment has a lot to do with it.

x2 We did some testing with them and ended up not using them because they don't like torsional loading, or axial shear forces.

I like those 14deg misalignment v-clamps that Vibrant makes for the charge air side. Then I recommend hard mounting the hot side for the chargers and running a flex joint after the turbos.

x2 We did some testing with them and ended up not using them because they don't like torsional loading, or axial shear forces.

I like those 14deg misalignment v-clamps that Vibrant makes for the charge air side. Then I recommend hard mounting the hot side for the chargers and running a flex joint after the turbos.

They're nice but only come in aluminum

You might check out http://reidwashbon.com
I ran across them checking out that 7 sec, silver and red, twin turbo SRT-10 mentioned here on CompD. Looking at the web-site they specialize in racing exhaust & make Incolnel and stainless bellows in a variety of sizes.

I have one of vibrants bellows on the pipe from the waste gate to the hot pipe. No issues as of yet but only around 1500 miles on it.