Flex plate issue?

slowcommonrai

My buddy's truck is making a rattling noise near the bell housing, almost sounds like marbles rolling around. We're thinking the flex plate is coming apart or the converter is goin bad, all the searching I've done on here that seems to be the common denominator. We checked the converter bolts they checked out ok and you can really hear it when u drop it into drive and when the truck is not moving. We plan on pullin the tranny out sat night, hopefully it's just the flex plate. Any input is appreciated Thanks

Sure sounds like a broken flex plate. You can listen with a mechanics stethoscope with a tube on it and it will give you a better idea. I think your on the right track though especially if it gets louder with lower rpm's in gear

I like to go fast

Yeah you can hear it when you come to a stop, it will make that noise for about 10 sec then it will stop.

Unbolt the tc and slide it back off the flexplate. start the truck and see if the noise is still there. much easier then pulling the trans out first

So we pulled the tranny and changed the flex plate and put a new. Converter in, and is still making the same rattling noise. And when the truck is running the flex plate kinda wobbles side to side. So could this be a bottom problem? Bent rod ?

Did yall happen to look at the trans adapter plate and check its bolts.. Ive seen one of them back out before and vibrate in and out to the flexplate.

Had one that had a kinda knock to it that sounded like a possible flexplate issue. Was a toasted piston in #6. Pull the Trans and flexplate off and start it. Just be careful the fan doesn't get into the shroud if the engine leans back

It's not really a knock, it's like metal on metal sound. And the motor runs amazing like before the noise. Maybe the pump in the trans? Would it still be running that good if it is the bottom end?

With these engines it wouldn't surprise me. Friend of mine toasted #6 in his p pump 24v due to a plugged oil squirter and it was knocking on a trip to VT from MA and was barely noticeable with how it ran... Mainly just made noise. Towed it home and pulled the head and found the trashed cylinder... Hope you get it figured out

I like to go fast

I had him start it and I looked over everything, I didn't see any wobble/ play to it. I can't really fit my hand down that far to see if there was any play.

That's strange because it has All the power it did before it made the noise. I don't get how it could run so good and smooth if it had a trashed piston or any other internal problem.

Update on this noise, I'm pretty sure it goes away when he drives but once he comes to a stop it will make the noise for about 5 sec then stop. Any ideas? I'm puzzled ha.

Back