flow vs. boost

maxspl153

knuckle buster
i have a 96 12v im puttin an s472 on . now in my search for a manifold i came across a hot pipe that goes from the stock hx35 to a t6 . what would be the benifit of running this? the whole reason im changing turbos is to open the exhaust up to actually flow more . but wouldnt running a 35 into a t6 not benifit flow? i mean the exhaust still has to traval through the small port on the 35 which is restrictive right? so heres the question . why run twins if they restrict? unless you run twin s400 style turbos which nobody does . is there a benifit to compuonding boost over having the "flow" of a big exhaust wheel? personally i think the benifit of a big single would be greater at 30PSI and make more power than a set of twins travilng through a t3 flange makng 60psi? the only thing i can see justifying it would be quick spool up which i can scrifice for efficancy . i do think this hold water a tad bit because the big time pullin' / race trucks usually run a single right ? what do you guys think ?

Warning! This question is below the minimum knowledge level expected of CompD members. Please read up on this subject and return at a later date.

Read a lot.

But look up some setups and look up external wastegates.

I will admit that I didnt read everything you posted, but from what I gathered, you are wondering how someone could run a T3 manifold (stock HX35 size), and then have a much larger turbo for a compound setup and manage to move enough air? If so, look up external wategates like I said.

And I agree, you arent ready and will waste a lot of time and money if you dont sit back and do some research first.

Warning! This question is below the minimum knowledge level expected of CompD members. Please read up on this subject and return at a later date.

But isn't it because of restriction that people run no mufflers and such large tips. I thought the 12" tip would reduce restiction and would roll more coal.

Oh and boost is a measure of resistance.
Flow is a measure of how much air is being moved and also what matters in making power.

i do think this hold water a tad bit because the big time pullin' / race trucks usually run a single right ? what do you guys think ?

Usually "big time" pull trucks have rules to follow and can only run a single turbo. It's because they have to in order to compete. If there were no rules on turbo size you'd see guys doing everything they could to get more air into them including twin and even triple turbos.

Usually "big time" pull trucks have rules to follow and can only run a single turbo. It's because they have to in order to compete. If there were no rules on turbo size you'd see guys doing everything they could to get more air into them including twin and even triple turbos.

Seems like those guys are all loaded. I bet we'd see some crazy stuff!

The big boys run 3 turbos in 2 stages :stab: :pop:

This, and use spellcheck next time.

The only reason to use a single over a good set of compounds is weight / fitment.

Short version is, yes you're on the right track. Enjoy some of previous threads.

The big boys run 3 turbos in 2 stages :stab: :pop:

Yes, that is true. I remember reading an article or two in Diesel Power magazine on Scheid's triple turbo'd modified pulling truck. Man those things are beasts. I was mainly talking about the 2.6 and 3.0 class trucks.

Back