Fluidampnr install issues

dmigz57

Trying to install a fluidampnr on my 99. Using a billet aluminum front cover from JEB machine. Due to the thickness of the cover, the dampnr is bottomed out against the cover before it seats against the snout of the crank. Dampnr is currently at a friends that's going to machine the outer lip down in hopes it will be enough to clear.

I'm hoping I can get away with not getting into the first belt rib groove... but if it takes that much to clear will there be issues? Thought maybe cutting 1 rib off the belt might keep it from throwing belts. Anyone experience this? Thanks

If I remember right, there isn't a lot of material to machine the damper down until you hit the fluid part of the fluidampr. I think you would be better off machining the cover down for clearance.

If I remember right, there isn't a lot of material to machine the damper down until you hit the fluid part of the fluidampr. I think you would be better off machining the cover down for clearance.

For the comp version yes. This is the regular one with the drive pulley. Just a little concerned if we cut into the first groove that it will want to throw a belt.

Just buy a Keating cover. Tampering with something that has been designed to work a certain way and is vital to the engine's health doesn't make sense to me.

With what kind of clearance?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

How much clearance are you lacking? I know nobody really wants to machine on a new billet front cover but is that an option instead of and/or machining on the dampner?

How much clearance are you lacking? I know nobody really wants to machine on a new billet front cover but is that an option instead of and/or machining on the dampner?

Maybe 10 thou or so. Trying to get away with milling down as little as possible on the pulley before we cut into the first belt groove. If it needs more I'll probably end up taking it off the cover. Am I the only one with this problem? Who knows how many people run JEBs cover, but it's used with a front cam support bearing, which basically sold me. Could be the reasoning behind it being thicker than others.

Honestly I'm probably over analyzing things. I'm sure one could trim 1 rib down on the belt, but who knows. Just looking for anyone with expierence with this.

I have a front cover from Kenny's, went to a 6-rib belt and machined off 2 ribs from the Fluidampr. Ran this set up last year without any problems.

I have a front cover from Kenny's, went to a 6-rib belt and machined off 2 ribs from the Fluidampr. Ran this set up last year without any problems.

Just what I was wanting to hear! Thank you

It would take 20 minutes to square the cover up on a Bridgeport, Chuck up a bore bar and remove the material...

Have a Scheid front cover and had a fluid dampner with the belt pulley. Machines the pulley down flat although I don't run a belt. Never had issues though.

Back