Flycutting 2001 pistons

Macgyver76

Hoping for some input here... Am in the parts gathering stage of my build and am trying to find out if the factory 01 pistons can safely and reliably be flycut? If so how much safely? Thanx in advance for any input...

I am assuming you mean valve relief since fly cutters are used to cut the entire piston top down (in this application).

I have gone .200" on a piston with the same height ring landing. I do find it weird that people want to put all this work into stock pistons however. I would rather work over a stock piston with a wider bowl and incorporate a wide angle nozzle into the mix.

I am assuming you mean valve relief since fly cutters are used to cut the entire piston top down (in this application).

I have gone .200" on a piston with the same height ring landing. I do find it weird that people want to put all this work into stock pistons however. I would rather work over a stock piston with a wider bowl and incorporate a wide angle nozzle into the mix.

So then I guess my next question is should I be doing bowl work to the oems as well as cutting reliefs? Or at that point is there an off the shelf piston with the bowls already done and then cut the appropriate reliefs in them?

You can de-lip the bowl on a stock piston but I would rather go with a 04-07 piston bowl with ≈ 160° injector since both are common.

If you are interested I can set you up with a package deal with new Mahle (or Hamilton) pistons with rings, valve reliefs, and make up a set of injectors depending on the application.

Shortbus, if you would PM me an idea of where I would be at $$wise for Mahle's with rings and with valve reliefs cut. Thanx in advance

Back