Folks with EDGE PROBLEMS please read!

4x4dually

Many of you know what my issues are with my truck. It seems that I have found many folks out there with the same problems and EDGE seems to be the common denominator. Most of you have COMP problems while mine is a JUICE.

I thought maybe I could get a list going of all those folks with problems and their set ups and maybe present it to EDGE. Maybe we will get enough folks to warrant some real action from EDGE and maybe they can finally figure out what is happening in our engines. Please post your problems and your set ups like mine below and I'll compile a complete list and present it to Edge if I can get half a dozen or so. I just thought this would be a pro-active way to get some responce....if you disagree, please let me know if there is a better or more professional way to handle it. Just post a description of your problem if you would please.

Thanks for your help! JWB

Jory B
Stillwater, OK

Setup:
2002 Dodge, H.O., 3500, 4x4, SB OFE Clutch, Edge Juice/Att, II PS62/14, Jammer IV's, AFE II w/ Pre-filter, Vulcan Big Line/Relo Kit, 4" DP, 5" Exhaust w/ Stack,

Problem:
When building boost slowly from 0, once boost crosses 20 psi, the whole truck bucks and jumps and the boost readout on the Attitude jumps ramdomly between 20 and 25 psi. You can clear this up by letting off the pedal, or stomping the pedal to make maximum boost at 43. It will hold max and also run correclty on level "0" only. Any level other than "0" will cause the bucking at the 20 to 30 range.

What I've done so far:
Verified there are no boost leaks in the intake system.

My VP44 was replaced under warranty at 55K along with my LP and the truck is at 95K miles now. I put the Vulcan Big Line Relo kit and my LP pressures are 16-17 idle, 13-14 cruising, and 10-11 WOT on 5-5.

Checked the AIT sensor and it seems to be responding to temp per the data sheet showing the acceptable resistive values.

Checked the MAP sensor and it reads 1.045 VDC at idle and 2.33 VDC at 20 psi and anything above.

I have also contacted Industrial Injection and talked to tech support numerous times and we feel the turbo is fine. It makes 0 to 35 psi on the stock setting (level "0") so this prove the wastgate isn't opening too soon or that I have a compressor problem. It also holds 43 max on level 5-5 so it should be fine.

Edge has sent me a new module with Ver 1.00 instead of Ver 1.01 that I had and both modules respond the exact same way. The Ver 1.00 mod locked up this moring and I had to restart my truck to get it to reboot. That is the first time it has done that. I have talked to Edge at least a dozen times in the last 3 months with no solution thus far.

Thanks Smokem! I thought my thread would just die with no posts! I hate to point fingers and try to force my hand, but with this many trucks with similar problem, I think they should at least look into it a little more than just "try a new sensor and call me tomorrow".

Thanks, keep the post comin and I'll forward them to tech support when I get a few more.

I think temperature causes mine to worsen as the temp drops. This is indicitive of a board failure. As temp rises and falls a fractured trace will make and break. And from what I've heard of their board manufacturer, it wouldn't suprise me. The colder the board, the more a broken trace shrinks away from itself.

JWB

I am more than happy to post in this thread. I do have to let you know right off the bat that it is not my truck. It is a buddies. I have however helped him work on it through every bit of the process.

Truck: 01 Dodge Cummins HO 6 Speed Manual. It has injectors, and Edge Comp, Holley blue pump.

Problem: When running down the highway and trying to accelerate it bucks and kicks. Only does it at certain throttle positions. Or certain boost levels.

Any other info needed just let me know.

you could possibly have mositure in the connections, get some dielectric grease and put on the connectors. I had the same problem on an 03'. called edge and thats what they told me to do. cleared the problem rite up.

redneckcummins said:
you could possibly have mositure in the connections, get some dielectric grease and put on the connectors. I had the same problem on an 03'. called edge and thats what they told me to do. cleared the problem rite up.

Can do. I pulled them and ohmed out the connectors to the juice box while wiggling the cable and it showed to be good. There was some grease still on the terminals, but I will try that tonight if I get time.

Thanks for your posts!!!!

I just taked to Edge and they are going to investigate it for me. I mentioned to them that I may send them some problems other are having with the '01 and '02 trucks so they may be able to use that info to track down the problems better.

Got Diesel said:
I am more than happy to post in this thread. I do have to let you know right off the bat that it is not my truck. It is a buddies. I have however helped him work on it through every bit of the process.

Truck: 01 Dodge Cummins HO 6 Speed Manual. It has injectors, and Edge Comp, Holley blue pump.

Problem: When running down the highway and trying to accelerate it bucks and kicks. Only does it at certain throttle positions. Or certain boost levels.

Any other info needed just let me know.

Mine does the samething. :kick:

While rolling into the throttle any where from 60-75mph my truck will cut out. It's starts doing this at around 2000 rpm. It did it alot when the comp was tapped, but only a few times when I picked the truck up from Jeffs. The comp was untapped (and still is) and did this with a new VP44 installed a month earlier.

Also I had my codes checked and I had the p0216. I had a hard start and the cutting out, so I thought for sure I needed a new VP44 but the new vp44 didn't do anything as far as MPGs, hard start and cutting out. If I just tossed 1000 dollars to the wind I'm gonna be pissed. Actually sitting here and thinking about it is making me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang :bang :bang I could have gotten a turbo.

Edit: I take that back I didn't have the hard start for one morning and that was the morning after I installed my new VP44.

Smokem said:
Weston Shupe
Sioux City, IA

Setup:
2001 2500 5spd - Edge Drag Comp, Pro Street 66, Jeff's injectors, A1 studs w/0.105 fire rings, and Aeromotive A1000

Problem:
The truck will cut fuel intermittently while on level 5 and any subsiquent secondary setting. The truck lost roughly 30hp at 2700RPM when the Drag portion of the Comp box was to alter the pulse width to maintain fueling until 3400RPM.

Attempted Solution:
Checked all aspects of the fueling system, electrical and mechanical. This has been a problem for about 5 months, and now with the dyno graph it is evident that the Edge fueling module is causing this issue.
Call them and tell them. I wasted $80 at the dyno proving their ignorance & got a new drag comp sent out when I submitted the dyno sheet. They even tried to say it wasn't under warranty- don't fall for it.

brnadon.

Basically the same as yors Jory, at boost above 20psi the truck would buck and shudder. I replaced the IAT sensor and unplugged/replugged the MAP sensor connections a couple of times and my problem has pretty much gone away. Lemme get a new rim in (Hopefully Thursday) and eliminate that source of truck shaking adn I should be able to let you know 100% whether or not my problem is solved.

BTW, I do not think the IAT had much to do with the problem, but it was done at the same time as the MAP connections so I bundle it together.

joefarmer said:
Call them and tell them. I wasted $80 at the dyno proving their ignorance & got a new drag comp sent out when I submitted the dyno sheet. They even tried to say it wasn't under warranty- don't fall for it.

brnadon.

So the new drag comp fixed your problem completely?

Yes, it fueled to 3200.
Real Drag Comp:
run.gif

Fake Drag Comp:
best_run.gif

brnadon.

Set up. read below

Problem. turbo would chuge at about 18-25 psi then it would spool. It smoked like crazy:st: and the wastegate was poping off premature.

Fix. turned the stupid thing off:doh: . I did as Billy, and Tim suggested and unplugged and plugged the map connector back in a few time. Seem to be alittle better. Quess I am going to send it back again:badidea:

dont mean to steel the thread but id there a lot of the comp's out there with this problem or just a string of bad luck? i was thinkin about a juice w/attitude this summer but i might need to change my mind or maybe not:poke:

cm cows said:
dont mean to steel the thread but id there a lot of the comp's out there with this problem or just a string of bad luck? i was thinkin about a juice w/attitude this summer but i might need to change my mind or maybe not:poke:

I wouldn't rule out the Edge, but I have second guessed myself for the last four or five months. This truck has done it since I put it in and gets worse all the time. I just wish I knew what EXACTLY was causing the problem. I can't blame the Edge until I figure out what it is. Sensors, wire, who knows. I have been working on this really hard in the last two weeks and I ain't learned anything yet except how to pull every sensor off this truck and look at it and put it back. I've heard all kind of rumors about them sending their manufacturing to China or somewhere like that. If they in fact did, you get what you pay for.

My out-on-a-limb guess is that FPGA or what ever the MAP sensor is hooked to inside the module gets out of wack and when ever we unplug the sensor, it resets and runs for a day or two. I have been through the wires three times and there ain't no way there is condensation in the plugs or bad connections. I think unplugging just removes a fault in the module. Now, that is total unsupported but being in the business of military electronics and pwb design, I would say it is definately a potential problem. Now, if they'd let me have the schematic, I could tell you more, but I'm sure that is out of the qestion.

Just do you homework. Call Edge and see if they have had any particular problems with your model truck. Ask them if they do thermal testing and/or any type of shock testing on their modules. These are things I should have done. Since temp really affects how this thing works, I'd also bet they don't have any thermal testing data or at least not on each module. Every single pwb that goes out of this place gets thermal tested...not just one every 10 or 20 boards like some.

Good luck with your choice.

One question for all ya'll who have had this issue, how old are your boxes?? Mine is close to two years old and I know it did not do this when new. I am beginning to wonder as well if the board in the box itself is not the problem, my last dyno was about 30HP off from the first run with the new box, nothing had changed???

I think I might try to squeeze in a call to Edge and see what they have to say.

My drag comp is not quite a year old but my truck is starting to act up but only with the box on levels 4 and 5. doesnt buck or jerk but engine is missing and cutting out. maybe no buck since mine is an auto. 2000 4x4

Last edited:
Billysgoat said:
One question for all ya'll who have had this issue, how old are your boxes?? Mine is close to two years old and I know it did not do this when new. I am beginning to wonder as well if the board in the box itself is not the problem, my last dyno was about 30HP off from the first run with the new box, nothing had changed???

I think I might try to squeeze in a call to Edge and see what they have to say.

Well, their tech supp is really starting to wear on me. I called three days ago and talked to them and was told that a manager that had more "dodge" experience would call me the next day. I have given them TWO days to call. I'm going to get a new AIT sensor at lunch, try it, and if it doesn't work I'm going to call and let them know that we need answers or refunds. I didn't spend $650 for this module to have nothing but trouble from it since after the frist month I had it installed.

It was 8F this morning when I drove to work. When it cutout, here's my readings:

Intake Air Temp: 49F
Mod Temp: 30
ECM Volts: 14.7
Boost: 21..25...23...25..21...19...15.!!!!!

:bang

God, people are incompetent!:bang I called NAPA Wed. Ordered an AIT sensor. They said it was in Dallas and it would be 2 days. I call just now to see if it was in.."I'm sorry, the Dallas store didn't have any. The closest is three days shipping". You stupid jerks...CALL ME AND TELL ME FREAKIN' TWO DAYS AGO!

Jesus...It seems like everything I have touched in the last three days has gone to sh.....crap. I need a punching bag in this office......or to move to a place where morons don't exist.

I took mine out altoghter. My truck when cold yesterday died three different time yesterday once I put it in gear:doh::badidea: . No hard starts, no codes. Hopefully it will help:bs: .

haz-mat19 said:
I took mine out altoghter. My truck when cold yesterday died three different time yesterday once I put it in gear:doh::badidea: . No hard starts, no codes. Hopefully it will help:bs: .

I am probing those I trust right now for options to replace this Edge stuff. I want to support 450 HP or so but I can't lose my gauges. Anyone with "proven" options please chime in. Edge may be fixing to refund my money...that is...if anyone will ever return my calls.

I am going to try and sent it back again. If it screws up again I am done with them.