For those of you who said a 14mm VE would not survive 4000 rpms...many times

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I have proof now..

I had my last pull of this season last night at "Weekend On the EDGE" in Ogden, Utah. Personally I think it was probably one of my best pulls if not the best so far in my pulling career. The truck spooled the turbo like I wanted, came off the line hard, and the trans finally locked up hard (I think it grabbed 3rd cuz it hasn't locked in 2nd gear all year) a little past mid track to help carry it along. Ended up with a pull of 292' and I think I ended up in 6th or 7th out of 18 trucks. Most trucks ahead of me were in the 290-300' area so I cant complain one bit for what it goes against in the 2.6 class here.

Here is an in cab vid of the pull, watch my tach (middle gauge on the dash) as it hits 4000 rpm right before the convertor locks and drops to 2500ish which is what makes me think it grabbed 3rd gear at the same time.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEunKqMbYME"]Austin Elsmore in cab vid - weekend on the edge 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a view from the outside
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AVlZcRFuNE"]Austin Elsmore - Bad Attitude 2.6 class Weekend on the EDGE 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

and a different angle
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWD6JD7fOs"]Weekend on the Edge 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I think I finally got it dialed in the last few weeks since I've been fighting spooling issues with this new S466 turbo. I got a T4 steed speed manifold from Brad Ponci, put an afc back in my pump and tuned it. It runs much much better as I can actually spool this thing up now while powerbraking where it just smoked forever before. I think I had too much fuel for my setup, even with a VE, if you can believe it. I didn't get a chance to pull the trans to change my stall, fix my reverse band, put in a518 governor, or mod the valve body for 2nd gear lockup like I talked about earlier as some things came up. But luckily just a tuned afc helped it enough to run much better.

Call me lucky or not, but this 14mm VE I built has seen 4000 RPMs or at least 35-3800 probably almost every pull I've done. Its only locked up twice in all of my pulls so far so its usually running that high of rpm the whole pull. I've got two seasons on this pump and at least 15 or more hooks on this setup, including daily driving, and occasional racing and it is yet to have a single hiccup.

I'm here to prove VE pumps can run high rpms and live if you do your homework and have it set up right. I've been pushin this truck/pump setup to its limits to see what it can take and so far it hasn't proved to me to be unreliable, especially for the $ I have into this simple setup.

Austin, how do you like that manifold? Could you tell difference in spooling?

Yes it definately made a differene over my shrinking stock manifold with a T4 adapter on it. It even sounds quite a bit different, at least to me it does. It spooled quicker than what i had setup before but putting my afc back in and tuning it made a big difference. I just had waaay too much bottom end fueling for this size of turbo.

On a side note, I pulled my weight bar off the other night and put my bumper back on and found what appeared to be a crack in my PS intercooler. I had been wondering about boost leaks for a while but haven't had time to test or check it. Gonna borrow a friends test kit and see.

Well after swapping wheels/tires and takin most the pulling gear off I decided to hit the track Friday night. Since I only live about 20-30 minutes from a drag strip now and they were having the last "midnight drag" night of the season, I figured might as well go have some fun. It was a cold night so things were running good but it was harder to hook up. I've only drag raced on a track once before a few years back so it was still pretty new to me. Ended up makin 4 passes and comin up with my personal best time of 13.063 and beat a pretty quick older mustang.

Here is a in cab vid
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyC03FWdAc"]1st gen cummins drag race in cab - YouTube[/ame]
and the timeslip
picture.php

I am not too disappointed for a truck thats older than I am, 276k on factory untouched engine and have yet to break something. I think it can taste the 12's though. I am pretty sure I could get there with some more adjustments. This including getting a better launch, get it to shift earlier and not at 4000 rpm, get the OD to kick in later, and I could lighten it up a lot more.

That is completely AWESOME! Nice pulls. That is really sweet to see a 1st Gen in the very very low 13's. And you are 100% correct, 12's are right around the corner for you!

Boatie

Congrats on the new personal best at the track. Can't wait to see you hit the 12s.

That's awesome! Keep it up, I would have never thought that a VE would be doing that well.

It's sweet that you can go from pulling one day to drag racing with the same truck!