Ford 5R110 transmission position and driveshaft shortening

scubasteve231

For a 2006 6.0L 5R110 truck, is it absolutely necessary to move the transmission back and shorten the drive shaft? Are there motor mount kits out there that work with a transmission that is not moved back?

I looked at Destroked and DCS adapter plates and motors mounts and they mention moving the trans back. Clearance for the mechanical fan being the reason, but is there still reasonable space for an electric fan if the transmission is not moved from the stock position?

I'm just comparing options right now. If I could leave the transmission position and the drive shaft where they are, install motor mounts, and then bolt the engine in that would be a huge advantage for me and it would fully justify the costs of the adapter and mounts

I'll take the silence as this being a bad idea.

I did some cost analysis on this and the total cost of using the 5R110 is just to much, and the work involved is the same as installing a non-factory transmission. The total cost of an Allison 6 speed is only slightly more and the extra OD gear is nice to have.

Last edited:
I'll take the silence as this being a bad idea.

I did some cost analysis on this and the total cost of using the 5R110 is just to much, and the work involved is the same as installing a non-factory transmission. The total cost of an Allison 6 speed is only slightly more and the extra OD gear is nice to have.

If your use 3rd gen mounts and make cradles,(or cut them off a dodge frame) then u can set the motor where u want it. But I believe destroked has or had a style that had a plate with multiple holes so you could install it a forward and rearward position. The torqueshift trans is a 6 speed by the way......

The 5r110 is a good trans but depends on hp goals and what ur goin to use the truck for. Main issue that most guys were having with using a torqueshift is the trans has variable clutch apply times, and most of your trans controllers would not work well with this trans. I believe DCS has a trans controller now that is supposed to work with this trans well. I haven't used it so could not tell u for sure. Build the truck for its intended use.

For a 2006 6.0L 5R110 truck, is it absolutely necessary to move the transmission back and shorten the drive shaft? Are there motor mount kits out there that work with a transmission that is not moved back?

I looked at Destroked and DCS adapter plates and motors mounts and they mention moving the trans back. Clearance for the mechanical fan being the reason, but is there still reasonable space for an electric fan if the transmission is not moved from the stock position?

I'm just comparing options right now. If I could leave the transmission position and the drive shaft where they are, install motor mounts, and then bolt the engine in that would be a huge advantage for me and it would fully justify the costs of the adapter and mounts

Cummins engine is longer than a PS engine, in order the have room for a mechanical fan the trans needs to go back 2 3/4 to 3 inches
If your not planing on hauling or towing you can leave the engine setting forward and run electric fans.
If you are going to do any towing move everything back and use a mechanical fan.

I just completed a conversion on a 06 F350 with a 5r110 trans. We left the trans in the stock location and bought a couple of cheapo ebay electric fans for the radiator. There was plenty of room for a pair of decent sized electric fans and we mounted a Derale controller elsewhere and wired it in. Way easier than trying to move the engine back and it keeps it pretty cool even when towing at 90* ambient.

Back