Ford 6.6L inline six into a '77 F350?

ford141

Rust Hater
Ok, I've done some searching but coming up short on answers. My buddy and I picked up this '77 F350 dump in good condition for a song but it is powered by a 300/6 gasser which just isn't cutting it. We are dying to do a budget diesel swap into it and looking for options. We considered a DT466 (have one) but that pig is just too pig for a daily driver/tow rig.

I ran across an F-600 locally with a 6.6L Ford inline six diesel for cheap. It looks like these motors are around 170-185hp stock, and from what I can gather are very tough and reliable. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? I think dimensionally it is still pretty big, but may be a little easier to package than a DT466.

Opinions welcome. I love this old dumper but it desperately needs some more snot.

Thanks, Eric

That would be a cool swap, I have looked into using one on other swaps, problems are= parts are ridiculously priced, not any aftermarket goodies, very heavy, expensive to get more hp which equals better mpg, if you can deal with all that then cool. My professional opinion,,, Stick with a Cummins!!! just my $.02

I guess that explains why noone has done it before... Thanks for the info, the Cummins was always the obvious choice, but I wanted to consider other alternatives. I'm also considering DT360s, but the Cummins is always the fallback.

I'm gonna attempt the 6.6 swap myself, depending on finances of course. For sure it's smaller than a 466, but a wee bit bigger than a DT360. If you want an easier swap with better parts availability, stick with a DT360, or even the old standby, the 6BT. The aftermarket stuff is somewhat harder to get than a 12 Valve 6BT, but you can still make a screamer.

I know exactly what you mean with the 300. It does the job, but not near as fun as a real engine would!

I cant remember the post, but there is one here of a guy that dropped a 366 into a super duty, it's turboed and fueled. It's a great motor with potential but, you wont be able to call your local diesel performance supply and get what you can for the cummins. The cummins is the small-block chevy of diesels

It's on youtube. search for "466 superduty pulling truck", not a 366....it's the big dog.