Ford powerstroke 6.0 turbo queries

templar514

Hi, I am paul, I have my first diesel, 2005 Ford F-350 powerstroke turbo, just would like a heads up on additives, maintenence, etc. I am getting ready to change the engine oil, how is rotella oil? Can I use a fram oil filter when I change the oil or should i use a motorcraft, or is there a better one? Any tips anyone can provide on any matters will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
rotella is not good for our injectors..go with a full synthetic oil and you will be happy. Use either the Valvoline Extreme Premium Blue 5w40 or the Motorcraft Full Synthetic. Also you will want to stick with Motorcraft filters too, if its for the oil or fuel filters.

I ran Rotella and it makes your truck smell worse than a 12V cummins. Go Valvoline Extreme Blue

I'd follow what Mike and Adam are telling you. Run the Valvoline 5w-40 and forget about the Rotella. Rotella seems to have problems with gumming up the injectors on the 6.0.

Welcome to CompD and the diesel world though!

BTW welcome to the site too.

And the Valvoline Extreme Premium Blue 5w40 can only be found at NAPA and they will always tell you they don't carry it..but they do..part number 70518

Hi Paul, I'm Doug. Stick with the motorcraft filters and you won't have any worries. Some of the aftermarket filters can occasionally have an incorrect diameter that may not be caught by eye. Motorcraft fuel filters will always have the white membrane for the water seperation. I know I have seen purolator fuel filters without the water seperation membrane. Some of the aftermarket oil filters also delete the factory cap, which is a complete pain in the ass and I would love to meet the guy that thought of it to return the favor with a nut kick. Valvoline 5w-40 Extreme is something I have been using in as many trucks I can put it in. To test on my 07, we run 10-12k mile oil changes sometimes as long as 15k. Truck has 77274 as of me typing this since june of 2006. Injectors have never been changed. Turbo never changed. Coolant cap has never been off the bottle. It tows a 40 foot wood deck gooseneck. And has been running an SCT as of December of 2006 when it got a 304 dual exhaust and AirAid intake. The airaid filter with pre screen on it took 65k miles before it was dirty enough to suck down the filter minder. A simple wash in a bucket of car wash soap made it new again. Fuel filters are changed every 15k miles since we have been finding the fuel in our area to be very low in having crap in it.

Carquest has it too, but you have to buy like 8 gallons or some stupid amount like that, or so I was told.

We normally buy 12 or 16 gallons at a time. Easy way to spend 400 dollars.

I got enough for the next change, hopefully that will be on someone else:hehe:

And then it can go in the V dub

Not to change the subject, but I was at Advance Auto Parts a couple of weeks ago and they had a special oil change deal for Powerstrokes. Motorcraft oil(reg. dino 15w40) and Motocraft oil filter for $25.

Not to change the subject, but I was at Advance Auto Parts a couple of weeks ago and they had a special oil change deal for Powerstrokes. Motorcraft oil(reg. dino 15w40) and Motocraft oil filter for $25.

Mine had this as well. Tried to peddle it off on me after he said they didn't carry the Valvoline 5w-40 Premium :doh:

Has anyone heard any good or bad things about running Royal Purple? I've got about 10k on Royal Purple so far....

powerstroke 6.0 oil change help

Hey guys thanks for all the previous answers to my queries. I am about to change the oil on my 05 6 litre powerstroke. Do i really need to tighten the oil filter cap with a torque wrench? What size wrench is the oil pan plug? I am missing some of my tools that always miraculously materialize in my dads toolbox at his house. LOL, it is true though, then he claims they are his. Have a great day peeps.

Back