Old fart
Jetta GL
202000 miles
Body is great as is the interior.
A/C
5 spd
Needs tires
Needs batt
Doesn't run, they were on the way the way home and it died just out side their drive. I'm suspecting a fuel filter or a bad IP. Been sitting for a bit over a year now.

I'm figuring approx $300.00 for tires, batt, filters etc.

What do ya think I should offer him, he has no idea what to ask.
I dont really want to pay more than a couple hundred but I want to be fair with him so I thought I would ask what you guys thought.

dan

No more than $500 tops, the car in good shape and running good is worth about $2500 BUT! With a possible dead IP that will cost about $500 to rebuild IF it's rebuildable and the labor involved you are looking at a serious price reducer. Plus with it sitting for a year there are likely to be a lot of little things to fix that you have to take into account.

That's just my opinion, look up the car in blue book etc. and see what they bring in your area (running, same mileage and condition) and reduce that by the cost of a new IP and the labor for a shop to put it on. That's the completely fair way to estimate price, but since you have to deal with the headache of a non running vehicle slash it some more LOL LOL

Dan billy is low on his numbers these cars in good running condition are going for over 5grand. I paid $900 for my 86 turbo with a bad I/P. The I/P will run between $500 and $1000 to rebuild depending on whats wrong with it.

I will kinda agree, I have found a few out here and they are all going for $1000 or less now I cant compare condition as seeing them in a pic or flying by on the freeway isn't a good way to judge a car. Heck even on E Bay they are less than 2k most of the time.

I am hoping it will be worth the figures you have mention but not gonna hold my breath on that. Utah'ns are a bit slow :hehe: not all but most.

None of this may matter anyway as I cant get the guy to call me back. I think I'll just go to his house tonight, lust loaded up a 87 GTI this morning (bought it to use the wheels on the Jetta).

I'll keep ya posted.

dan

Cool, the prices i saw on ebay last night were lower than the ones i saw last week. I love my jetta its factory turbod. One day billy will get his rabbit fixed.......maybe

If Baxter will let me have some time off so I can work on it I might ust LOL LOL

I picked mine up for $800. It needed work and I have had to put money into it, but so goes the war. Mine is a '91 with 244,000+ miles, however the engine is at least a '80 or older. The previous owner replaced it and I had to tweak it. Chris

I ended up picking it up for $400.

I think the engine is locked up though.
I didnt have much time to do anything with it today, I'll report more as I find out what's up.
The body is in great shape so is the interior.
Cruise
A/C
Tilt
nice seats

could be a keeper (for at least a couple months)

dan

Dan,

Did you figure out what's up with your engine?

In the past six months I've gained a boat load of experience getting my 85 running. It would take me too long to type out what I've done to it but I'd be glad to help.

I also found a great place for reasonably price parts too.

Tony

Hey Tony,
All I have done is determine the bottom end is locked up solid.

I removed the timing belt and can turn the cam but not the secondary shaft or crank.

I've found a couple running 83-83's that I could PU for reasonable I guess but I'm the type of guy that would end up tearing down a complete good motor just to make sure everything was ok, next thing ya know it's got new rings, bearings, seals etc etc.

I have a spare engine I can tear down to get the bottom end done but I just have a hard time spending $600+ on a bottom end.

Any parts place reference would be appreciated for sure.
I've found quite a few, just haven't made a comment yet as to what I'm going to do with it.

dan

BGTONY1 said:
Dan,

Did you figure out what's up with your engine?

In the past six months I've gained a boat load of experience getting my 85 running. It would take me too long to type out what I've done to it but I'd be glad to help.

I also found a great place for reasonably price parts too.

Tony

Found The Problem

Ok, I decided to tear into it a bit last night.

Started by removing the head but there is a bracket on the front behind the IP that needed to be removed so the IP came off.

As soon as the IP was off I could see the problem.

It seems there is a crank inspection hole, I.E. non factory installed hole in the front of the block.
It apparently also has some non factory installed quick release rods as one of them is sticking out the inspection hole :bang

On the good side, the head appears to have been rebuilt recently. Clean clean.

So the search for a hydro 1.6 block ensues.

dan

:cheer:

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: I like your choice of words. Sorry to hear the bottom end is junk. Sounds like you know what type block you've got too. Happy hunting. It shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I just bought a long block for $550 from a local import shop.

I've got a spare non hydraulic head block but I was going to use it for a turbo project in the future. It also needs a rebuild.

Try the classifieds on VWVortex.com. They have a diesel parts only area. Try this link http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=860

If you need the head gasket and other related stuff try Partsplace.com.

There kind of jerks at times but they have cheap prices and every time I've bought from them they had all the parts I needed so I didn't have to shop around. Less jerkin around.

Tony

So I found a guy with a older turbo engine. mostly complete.
Hi looks to be a 84ish engine/ solid lifter head.

He couldnt find the intake/ exhaust manifold or turbo but at the moment I really only need a block.
I have a good hyrdo and solid lifter head so it's getting closer.
Closer to what I'm not sure but closer to something.

dan

I just got an 84 Jetta non turbo diesel, runs and drives ok, shifter is wore out, good rubber, needs shocks and brakes for $100 cash. :)

KTA-Cummins said:
I just got an 84 Jetta non turbo diesel, runs and drives ok, shifter is wore out, good rubber, needs shocks and brakes for $100 cash. :)

Good find sounds like.

dan

Back