Four link w/ Bags vs. Soft leaf pack w/ Bags

Nor'Easter

In the planning stages for a '57 WM300 Power Wagon. Will be a dually with a flatbed, set up for either bumper or gooseneck towing.

I would like to run something a little softer than a standard leaf pack as 99% of my driving is unloaded cruising. I don't expect a one ton on a big set of dually wheels to ride like a caddy, but comfortable is a must.

That has had me thinking of what would be better. I can utilize the stock leaf perches and have a set of soft "daily driver" leaves made, and install a set of adjustable bags for when a hitch or pin load is added. The other option is to jump ship and build a complete four link setup that relies on bags only. I'm skeptical of this as it's a lot of additional fab, time, and money, which could be placed elsewhere on the truck.

Furthermore, I wonder if I should apply the chosen setup out back to the front.

Truck in question...

IMG_3694_zpskoeuihax.jpg

I'd say go all the way with the 4-link. If you go with a soft leaf pack, you're gonna want traction bars anyway, and thats half way to a 4-link. You could also look at going to a two-bar setup. Easier fab. 1-5-3-6-2-4 did that to his F350 if you look in the diesel conversion sub forum. Could build a radius arm setup up front as well and go air in all four corners. I think that would be best, especially with a flat deck. Easier loading by just dumping the air out, and air up when you're parked under the hitch of the trailer.

The only reason to keep leafs would be if you are going to enter it into some kind of competition and you need to meet the specs.

Not into racing or pulling, 99% street driven and unloaded, just like to have a cool vehicle I suppose. :hehe:

I had forgot about traction bars aswell, in the rear four link makes sense.

Out front I don't see why I couldn't go with a soft leaf pack and a bag. It would be rare that I'd need 4wd and if so it would be for exiting a wet field and such, never in my life have a had a reason to do serious off roading and mud slinging.

For what you want I would ditch the Dodge frame and swap the cab to late model truck. The rails on that are tiny and the wheel base is to short. I wouldn't put my time into trying to set that up to tow a trailer or 5th wheel. I would look for a damaged 3rd gen and start there.

Back