Freeze Plugs In Head Weeping

97Rebel

Has anyone had problems with the freeze plugs in the head weeping? Mine seem to be wet some of the time. The freeze plugs I speak of are in between each cylinder and are about the size of a quarter.

I've got my head off to replace the head gasket and install some studs. I'm debating on R&Ring the freeze plugs or leave them in and treating the cooling system with some Bars Leak to help them seal up.

I have got the water temp up to about 230 on a few long hard pulls towing a 5th wheel here in the Rockies, don't know if this has contributed to the problem or not?

Stay away from the bars leak if you can. If you replace them use some red loc tite on them. That should fix them. Or clean them up really well and put some red loctite on them.

Stay away from the bars leak if you can. If you replace them use some red loc tite on them. That should fix them. Or clean them up really well and put some red loctite on them.

Wasn't real thrilled about resorting to Bars Leak even though it is used as a factory fill for GM vehicles.

After looking at the LocTite spec's I'm thinking of going with the green as it is used for sleeving a block. Thanks for the tip.

The best way to fix those plugs would be to remove them and have the holes taped for NPT plugs.

Back