front and rear main seals

dangerous06

diesel tech
Looking for the answer to properly installing the seals.
Nothing but leaks from rear crank seal and front crank seal. Who's got a bullet proof install technique? I know install dry is important!
Different style seals which one works best? Over the years it's been changed a few times though they are the same size.
When is sleeving necessary? Any groove or just Change depth of seal to ride in a new spot or?
Front seal nightmare to install! Freezing works for me! Does anybody have another solution? Remove the whole cover or install in place?
I've had a lot of people ask these questions and would like everyone that is familiar with these nightmares to chime in!

Looking for the answer to properly installing the seals.
Nothing but leaks from rear crank seal and front crank seal. Who's got a bullet proof install technique? I know install dry is important!
Different style seals which one works best? Over the years it's been changed a few times though they are the same size.
When is sleeving necessary? Any groove or just Change depth of seal to ride in a new spot or?
Front seal nightmare to install! Freezing works for me! Does anybody have another solution? Remove the whole cover or install in place?
I've had a lot of people ask these questions and would like everyone that is familiar with these nightmares to chime in!

I usually use factory Cummins seals. Sleeving is necessary when the crank gets a pretty decent groove, if you it's grooved and a new seal is pretty much instantly leaking it needs sleeved, I almost always remove the front cover and reseal it at the same time just because I'm already there. Usually it is leaking anyways.

Remove cover press seal in.
Install cover with seal installer.
Unless you need a sleeve you should be good

I just find a driver that is bigger around than the installer that comes with the seal and usually pound it in with a hammer sometimes with a hydraulic press depends on my mood... then a thin plastic installer will also be supplied with seal normally

I just find a driver that is bigger around than the installer that comes with the seal and usually pound it in with a hammer sometimes with a hydraulic press depends on my mood... then a thin plastic installer will also be supplied with seal normally

Oh the supplied stuff! Yeah I was hoping for some magic tool! LOL

That is the magic... if them tools don't work I would look for a new operator ☺

I finally bought this kit. After having a rear main start leaking that I had replaced and not gotten square. You drill 2 holes, thread in screws and pop the old one out with vice grips and a pry bar. Then I use my Makita Impact to zip the new one in, alternating between the 2 studs evenly to pull the seal in square.
75e8060d2cfc7aa67151c68e7732138b.jpg

It has already paid for itself. Saves time and does it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rear non sleeved Cummins seal kit does come with the install ring required.
The sleeved cummins kit does not come with the alignment tool required to change out the seal. You also are supposed to remove the rear cover for the sleeved version.

I can't say for the front. Mine non sleeved came with the ring.

Back