Front crank seal help

89cumminstd

I'm trying to put a new crank seal for a 1995 timing cover, it's is very tight and I already broke one trying to put it in, whats the best way to do this? I have the timing cover off of the truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
You are trying to install it from the back side right?

Yes I tried everyway I could until the seal broke is there a trick to it? There's no instructions that come with it and my service manual tells me to install it with the plastic sleeve I tried that and didn't work either

The clear plastic piece fits over the nose of the crank to help the seal onto the crank. Once the front cover is on, pull the clear seal protector off the crank. The metal ring is the seal installation tool, which also sets the seal to the proper depth in the cover.

I've taken a file some times and made a small 45* angle to the front. They are a pain in the a$$. It should come with a driver tool that will set it at correct depth.

I've taken a file some times and made a small 45* angle to the front. They are a pain in the a$$. It should come with a driver tool that will set it at correct depth.

Yeah your right it came with that I used it but I think it's telling me to leave it on too? That doesn't sound right to me

The little rubber seal pictured above the plastic install tool is what they are referring to leaving on. It goes between the seal and the damper as a dust seal. It doesn't have to be installed.

I FREAKIN HATE driving these seals in. I messed one up just last week. I pretty much have to use a small hammer hitting it on opposite side until it gets started. Then use a wood block to drive it in flush, then finish with the tool that sets the depth.

I screwed up my first seal when I was setting it, had to get another one. Ended up grinding down a piece of pipe to fit into the driver.

If most are doing these seals on a regular basis. Miller has a driver that can be had on ebay for about 40 bucks.

Miller 8281

I got a piece of solid round poly a half inch bigger than the seal, put it in the lathe and turned one end down to make a driver. The other end I turned the inside down to start the seal, I made it stepped so the seal sits tight inside and it fits tight over the cover lip. One hit starts it flip and use the other drive it home.

For what I get the poly for I can make 3 for 40 lol

Last edited: