Front end woes continued

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Not sure if most read my post about my wheel bearing taking a dump on me about 3 weeks ago. If you did you know that we took the right side completely apart, axle shaft out and everything and replaced it all. On the drivers side we just replaced the hub, brakes, and rotor but did not actually remove the axle shaft. Well this week I notice my driver side axle shaft is leaking oil. At first it was a puddle about the size of the bottom of a beer can. Ever since it has either not leaked at all or just a small spot the size of a quarter to half dollar. Have no clue why it all of a sudden started leaking so I was checking to see what you guys think. We put 3 3/4 quarts of amsoil synthetic 75-140 in the diff while we had it apart. Is that too much fluid and that is why it's leaking? We filled to the plug? Or is it time to do a seal replacement? If so does anybody have a microfische so we can look to see which seals to order?

Sometimes synthetic oils will squeeze past minor imperfections that regular dino oil can't and will cause a leak.

If you replaced everything on the passenger side then dont you know what seal to order for the other side? I would think the axle seal is the same on both sides.

smoken02 said:
If you replaced everything on the passenger side then dont you know what seal to order for the other side? I would think the axle seal is the same on both sides.

I should have clarified what I meant by everything.....everything but the innerds of the axle housing. We didn't replace any seals. But from the looks of it this leak isn't going to stop so now I need to find a microfische to figure out what to buy and how to replace it.......damn dodge....

BgBlDodge said:
Sometimes synthetic oils will squeeze past minor imperfections that regular dino oil can't and will cause a leak.

Old wives tale :kick:

If you pull the seal check the seal diameter on the axle. If there is a groove in it from the seal, most likely the new seal may leak also. Cant the dealer get you the seal?

The axle seals on the D60 are not the same on both sides. The drivers side goes in where the pumpkin meets the axle tube and requires you to pull the carrier to replace. Passengers side is just outboard of the CAD housing and requires a special tool that runs down the axle tube to replace....or at least I had to use the tool, any other way is too much of a pain in the rear. If you decide to replace the seal just go to the Dodge house and get one. Then when you do it just pull the hub, pull the axle, remove the diff cover, and pull the carrier. Just make sure you reassemble everything exactly where it came from and torque it all back down and you're done. Piece of cake.

Cool, thanks for the info bgnasty. Looks like this will be my weekend project :doh:

This is just an update....We replaced both of the seals in the front end this weekend. Huge thanks to Diesel-Dan and BNold.....The passenger side seal was a HUGE P.I.T.A. :bang :doh: :badidea: I hope I never have to deal with this again. Whoever designed this axle can F right off....