Fuel filter keeps breaking

jcarrick

Hey guys,

So in the past 6 months I have had 4 fuel filters crack or blow the gasket out. 3 of them were Wix filters and 1 was a factory Mopar filter. Everything else on truck runs great, even when its spewing fuel everywhere, but I can not figure out why i keep losing filters. I thought it could be a sticky over flow valve causing excessive supply pressure so I put the TorkTek Adjustable OFV. I did this about 2 weeks ago and just got another broken filter today. I have searched for people with similar issues, but have not found any conclusive information on what is causing this. Has anybody had this issue or know how to fix it?

Check the actual pressure. I run 30 psi with Cummins filters and no issues. I think some guys run more than that.

Much more than that. These p7100s like a lot more than that. Although I am surprised it is breaking them as I didn't have an issue with the canister units with 50 psi.

Blow the line out to the tank and make sure its not stopped up or crimped off. The stock piston fuel pump if dead headed can supply up to 300 psi of fuel pressure if I remember right

Last edited:
Blow the line out to the tank and make sure its not stopped up or crimped off. The stock piston fuel pump if dead headed can supply up to 300 psi of fuel pressure if I remember right

This^^

If you are cracking fuel filter housings with the pressure imagine what it could be doing to your p7100...

It is a canister style and completely stock system other than the new Tork Tek OFV. I will check and make sure there are not restrictions in the fuel lines. Would the truck run ok if there were restrictions? It never stops running good, just starts spraying fuel everywhere

Checked the lines and they are clear with no obstructions. Could a plugged up fuel heater screen cause this?

Last time I installed a filter it was. I also replaced the gasket on the stud every time