Fuel knock

duramax18

my buddy has an 03 with 180 hp nozzles and many more mods but has trouble when tuning his smarty. when he tunes his smarty level 6 or higher first start has a bad fuel knock with white smoke for 5 or 10 min then goes away. any idea whats goin on or has anybody else had this problem?

im the guy he was helping out finally got the time to make an account. i usually run the timing on default or 2 for after market injectors and i have the lastest tntr tune, is a injector going bad or sticking??? cause i never have a problem when i have the smarty completely out of the truck runs fine and still gets great fuel mileage.

any help is appreciated

Try changing the timing to 3 and see if that helps. I ran 165's and ran 3 and it ran good. I have found the timing on my 03 is backwords from what Smarty lists. Don't know if it is only my truck or not.

4 was the highest timing and 2 was the lowest, not sure if it was changed on the new program or if it just a thing with my truck. I would get bad timing rattle on 4 and almost none on 2. I have way smaller tips in my truck now. Seems odd that yours is only doing it at idle. I was told nothing got changed by the smarty at idle but could be wrong. I would pull the injectors and have them checked to be safe, cheep insurance IMHO.

Last edited:
I get what your saying, it just acts like its flooding. Probably pulling injectors is my best bet

Back