Fuel Return Rates Over Specific Time Interval

Red Sleeper

Does anyone know the fuel return flow rates over a specific amount of time for the injectors alone and the CP3 alone? I've been searching the interwebz and found return rates, but they don't specify over what length of time.

Here is what I've found so far. Neither states time, just rates.

Check for a high injector return flow. Measure the flow at the injector return line connection at the rear of the cylinder head. Maximum allowable values are 90 mL at cranking, 180 mL at idle and 300 mL at 1200 RPM with 1400 bar rail pressure. High return is commonly caused by loose connector tube retaining nuts. Recheck the return flow after tightening the nuts to the correct torque or you can temporally tighten them with a wrench; you will be able to feel if the nut is loose.

If the engine can be started check the high-pressure pump return flow at 750 RPM for a maximum return of 400 mL.

My folks are on vacation in SW Colorado and currently stuck at a RV park.
Truck is early 04 CR 6spd 4wd. All stock with a banks six gun. Stock intake/ex. 270k on the clock.
Original injectors, original CP3, not gaining oil, good lift pump supply (ruled that out). Truck cranks and idles smooth, doesn't smoke when running down the road, just runs out of fuel. Trying to get him to figure out return fuel rates.
Running out of options.

Last edited:
Think I may have just answered my own question.
They are all based per minute.

Can someone verify?

Volumetric flow rate will be in units of volume/time like CFM or GPH. In your case mL/min.

Back