Fuel

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
We have LOT of new products in the wings, but in my estimation, one of the most important and urgent is our fuel economy products we are working on. We have asked the gear designers to expedite the project of a new 5th gear for the NV4500's. We are going to bump the ratio a bit to save the 5spd crowd a bit of fuel without the expense of an overdrive unit, installation, and a new drive shaft. Drop the drive shaft, pop the back cover off, 15 minutes of work, a little gear oil and you will be good to go.

I would like your thoughts on the project.

Second, is a cam designed to move the maximum amount of air in the 1750-2100 rpm range and get the best possible fuel economy. This will be a good performance cam off idle, but will start to fall of over 3200rpm compared to our other cam offerings. It will not be a race grind but a towing, mild performance, economy cam.....ONLY.

I am trying to gauge interest in this cam, so I can see where to go with this.

If a few people want it, I will have 10 or so ground at a time and it will cost a little more like all of our custom grinds($699 retail). If there is a big demand, I will be able to get the price lower than all of our other cam grinds due to quantities ($499-549)

As fuel prices start to rise in the next few years I think this project might be the difference in getting to continue to drive your truck or downsizing.

Thoughts?

Zach Hamilton

Last edited:
Ok thanks Zach. I would love to have a higher OD. My truck with 35's still runs just a hair over 2000 rpm.

Whats the projected gear ratio on the fifth gear? As long as its as strong or stronger than OEM, I'd be game for that. If you get one for the G56, I'd be interested in that as well, the 0.79 OD in the G56 is quite high.

I don't have a manual, but this sounds like a great mod for those that do.

this sounds like a great idea for the manual guys. hope it turns out great. A way to slowly get back at the oil companies. LOL

im down for the cam. how far off will it drop from your other cams, could the drop be corrected will more timer when on the dyno?

Zach, your idea for the economy cam would be the one I would get when money allows. For a DD and all around truck it would be the best option.

I would be interested in the 5 spd gears....already have a cam in the truck that gave me a nice mileage bump...

Chris

Isn't that were your 175/206 cam comes in?

How about a different gear for the NV5600?