Fummins Critique

FumminsTDJ

Ok guys, this things finally coming to life. (And getting expensive!) I've read and read and read and then read some more, and I think I have this planned out pretty well, but I would like to hear y'all's thoughts as well. I expect it to be a pretty clean running truck in the neighborhood of 500 hp. So, here's my proposed build, rip it to shreds. Thanks in advance!

160 p pump
191 dvs
4k springs
No plate
Tuned AFC
5x14 SAC injectors
Assassin lift pump w, cat filters

BHAF
HE451ve controlled by dual acting air cylinder
(Boost and drive pressure)
Banks technicooler for a 6.0
3.5 in. pusher intake
Ported head
Head studs
60# valve springs
4 in. High flow exhaust w/ muffler

Kdp
Hamilton 188/208

5R110 with triple disk converter (pcs controlled)
3.73 gears
35 in. tires

I'll also be using the cummins fan.

I'm sure I've missed something but that's everything I can think of right now. Let me know what you think.

What's the reasoning on the afe? I know I'll catch some hell about the 5R110 too. My plan is to try it with the pcs and switch to the factory tcm if I don't like it, and if I'm not happy with that then next year (if it will hold that long) it will get a BTS 4r100 and I'll put the pcs back on.

Bhaf's don't always flow more than a well engineered high flow air filter

I keep hearing it won't hold up behind a Cummins but I'm giving it a shot. Worse case senario I eat a transmission. I already have it and it'll cost another 5k+ for a BTS 4R100.

Ok guys, this things finally coming to life. (And getting expensive!) I've read and read and read and then read some more, and I think I have this planned out pretty well, but I would like to hear y'all's thoughts as well. I expect it to be a pretty clean running truck in the neighborhood of 500 hp. So, here's my proposed build, rip it to shreds. Thanks in advance!

160 p pump
191 dvs
4k springs
No plate
Tuned AFC
5x14 SAC injectors
Assassin lift pump w, cat filters

This is good ^ but you make like some smaller DV's

BHAF AFE
HE451ve controlled by dual acting air cylinder Look for something else, that charger will be a pain in the ass to mount and controll in that chassis
(Boost and drive pressure)
Banks technicooler for a 6.0 Wasteing money unless you have some to burn
3.5 in. pusher intake
Ported head
Head studs
60# valve springs You can get a hamilton cam and springs for less than the price off that intercooler
4 in. High flow exhaust w/ muffler

Kdp
Hamilton 188/208 well, I still said it

5R110 with triple disk converter (pcs controlled) I would advise against it
3.73 gears
35 in. tires

I'll also be using the cummins fan. It works, will have to set the engine as far back as possible

I'm sure I've missed something but that's everything I can think of right now. Let me know what you think.

Edited for clarity

Throw a Dodge trans behind it and call it a day. There's no need for PCS controllers and Ford transmissions in a conversion truck.

I keep hearing it won't hold up behind a Cummins but I'm giving it a shot. Worse case senario I eat a transmission. I already have it and it'll cost another 5k+ for a BTS 4R100.

It might live for a bit with a light build like that, but you go much over 500hp and the 5r is gonna be pissed. It will never shift right anyhow because it cant defuel a p pump. I have a 5r behind a twin turbo p pumped 24 valve and the trans is pretty pissed off about it. Going to a 4r before it leaves the shop again.

Good luck on the 5R trans.. many have tried and failed. The high cost of the adapter plates would point towards a 4r out the box.

And your on the right track. Roachie is right about the IC and turbo.. unless you already got it then forget the added cost.

I picked up the intercooler really cheap. I planned on using a stock intercooler from a 6.0 but got the banks used in a package deal from a guy on Craigslist. I already have the turbo too. If anyone has any input on tuning it this way I would greatly appreciate the help. I know getting the pump, turbo and trans all tuned together is going to be a PITA but if I can make it work I think it's gonna be sweet! Do my hp numbers sound about right? I didn't really start this project with a number in mind this is where my brain storming took me. I know this isn't a common setup but that's part of the fun!

Definitely not just trying to throw money away either, I've been dreaming of this truck since I got a driver's license and I finally can make it happen. The only reason I'm going with the 3.5 pusher is because my intercooler and pipes are 3.5 in and it seems silly to neck it back down. As far as the cam, I've read nothing but good things about the 188/208, you guys think it will do fine with a 64 mm vgt? I want quick spool up and a decent flowing turbo but want to avoid twins (idk why really). Are you guys talking about an afe intake or just the filter?

You are using the 94 2500 as a donor, what transmission does it have? if it has a 47rh you can get that built for just a little more than the cost of the PCS and adapter plate. If it is a 5/6 speed I would convert the ford to that. $.02

Last edited:
To use the stock fan you have to really set the engine back til it almost touches the firewall! Just go with electric fans and set the engine where the driveshafts dictate so you don't have to modify them.

AFE Dry or oiled element? I'd trust a BHAF everyday over a oiled element... or fabricate a different BHAF Type dry filter to fit with a outer wear. On my trucks i sewed up a common outerwear and then used a regular water resistant outer wear on top / outside. You can remove the common and wash it etc. .keeps the filters spot less and flow fine. the Restriction guage has never moved. Just my Exp.