FYI 4.10 to 3.55 swap

THE TANK

rookie
You can use a 4.10 carrier with a 3.55 ring and pinion. You just have to move all you shims to the pass side and you will hav.e enuff backlash. Ran in to a problem had to make it work. Just letting you know thanks

Good to know, I've got a 2wd dually in 410 and want to change. When you set the backlash was there more available or it just made it by stacking the shims. Thanks

Took both factory thick shims and put on pass side plus a .010. Every rear is different but it will work just tired of hearing how they wont work but nobody has tried

The thick shims are referred to as "case savers". Yes, it will work, but it's kind of a backwards way of going about it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a pulling truck.

I did it two plus years ago in my wifes 2.6 truck. No problems, just need to know how to check backlash and look at a good gear pattern.

Good deal, this is my work truck that sometimes tows heavy but is mild. So if everything is set up correctly all is good?

The one thing to remember is you are moving the diff case farther to one side. This has the race not seated where it should be and the bearing caps are not covering the entire race area either. This method does work if you take your time and know what you are doing, but is probably not the preferred method.

The one thing to remember is you are moving the diff case farther to one side. This has the race not seated where it should be and the bearing caps are not covering the entire race area either. This method does work if you take your time and know what you are doing, but is probably not the preferred method.

Correct. Also since the carrier is no longer centered, the spline engagement of the axle shafts will be unequal as well.

I had to do it the guy sent me a pos carrier that wouldnt work so had to put it together.