G&J Big Sky Truckfest, Yellowstone Dragstrip June 18th Billings, Montana

Wow, that should be cool to see a new rail! Where is it coming from?

Looking at the forecast it's going to be pretty cool, should make for some great air for racing, but it will be yet another dang event this year that I'm running the furnace instead of the AC in my camper at night! My ratio of propane usage vs generator gas is all out of whack this year, on my 2nd propane tank and still the 1st 5 gals of gasoline (including lots of time running to charge my race car). Where is Al Gore's global warming when you need it?

After pulling an all nighter trying to get the truck ready, I hate to say I won't be able to make this race. Hope everyone has a good time.

After pulling an all nighter trying to get the truck ready, I hate to say I won't be able to make this race. Hope everyone has a good time.

Sorry to hear that Shawn, since you are not going out of respect I'll stay home too.:lolly: Actually we didn't get all the parts for White Out's new tranny in time so I can't make it either. I think Rob is coming in his street truck as Max'd Out new engine isn't in yet either.:nail:

Just finishing up a few modifications on our truck going to be in billings around midnight. Looks like it is going to be another great event.

Timing lights and tree weren't working, so all the races were arm-drop. Kind of a bummer, but cool to watch.

Can't do brackets with a arm drop heard they gave eveyone the same points then did a coin flip for the winner.

Yup, it was pretty disappointing after driving 1100 miles to get here (took a slightly indirect route to visit a customer on the way). The armdrop thing was at least a good way to make the best out of a bad situation. I tried to talk the bracket competitors into having a practice tree competition, but too many were leery of it being done on my practice tree (home court advantage). There were a ton of spectators and they seemed to enjoy the armdrop racing as much as regular racing. Just as the racing finished up a huge thunderstorm blew through. I got drenched trying to load things up. After that it was nice again but all the mosquitoes came out and drove us out of there.

I wanna say thanks to all the competitors for making the best of the event.

We had driver meeting and everyone agreed to do the arm drop

I have to admit arm drop with diesels is not the place to be standing I was covered with soot from head to toe by the end of the event but overall the crowd stayed and had good time

Thanks to brad and Gj crew for a good event

Mark Ventling won Prostreet, not sure who won Superstreet and Idaho Rob won Super Street.

It was cool the crowd stuck around when the lights did not work. Some even thought we should do the arm drop more often.
Thanks for coming, hope it was a good time for all

Last edited:
I wanna say thanks to all the competitors for making the best of the event.

We had driver meeting and everyone agreed to do the arm drop

I have to admit arm drop with diesels is not the place to be standing I was covered with soot from head to toe by the end of the event but overall the crowd stayed and had good time

Thanks to brad and Gj crew for a good event

:nopics:

Official Results:

First, Randy held a meeting when the efforts to repair the tree electronics failed. They were apparently fried by a lightning strike sometime before the event. It was decided to run the heads up classes via the Pinks Arm Drop method. He then asked the Sportsman competitors who was running for championship points. Only 3 of us raised our hands. Me (Jim Calhoun), Michael Pliska, and Verlon Southwick. The 3 of us did a coin toss to decide 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. Verlon took 3rd, Michael took 2nd, and I took 1st. I awarded everyone else in Sportsman 1st round winner's points (50). This would have been a 5 round race so Verlon was awarded 70 points, Michael 80 points, and I was awarded 100 points via the NHRDA Points Rules.

Pro Stock - Graydon Udelhoven (Dirty Max)

Pro Street - Mark Ventling

Super Street - Jerimiah Montgomery

Super Diesel - Rob Coddens

I think Randy and the rest of the guys did their best to remedy the situation, hats off to them. Also thanks to the G&J crew for the tri-tip. That was some good barbeque!

It was disappointing having to drive the 28 hr round trip only to have the timing system down, but i still had a great time, and the crowd enjoyed it too. Lots of good looking trucks out there.

Hope you were able to get a shower in before you left Randy. You were filthy! Thanks for the event to all that was involved. See you in Portland.

Last edited:
Back