G56 5th and 6th WINING

FDC

I was on my way home last night and stopped at a light.. i went to put the truck in gear and it would not let me. I jammed it into 4th to get to the side of the road..I jammed it into low and got it home. I went for a drive later last night and it started to shift half normal but it stuggled to go in 5th and 6th. It drives fine now but it makes:nail: a wining noise in 5th and 6th ..sounds like a supercharger. When you pull it out of gear into neutral the noise stops...only does it when in gear. I checked the fluid and over filled it by a pint of lucas...did not help the issue. Please help...Thanks.

Assuming the clutch is OK - probably chipped some teeth... noise only in 5th & 6th?
How do all gears shift now?

It shifts very nice...all gears.....I am stumpted....it started making the noise in 4th as well. It seems to make it when you are going slower in a high gear...ie coming up to a stop or turn.... I know what gear roll over sounds like..I have put 10000 miles on this truck so I know what it sounded like before. I just don't understand how stuff could change so fast without warning. I have put about 150 miles on it since last night when it locked me out of the gears. It now shifts about 95% of what it did before. Thanks again...keep the advice and opinions coming. if the transmission was on its way out why would it start shifting good again?

Fill out your signature with your truck info.

Clutch?

no more whining in 5th and 6th.....BIG BANG today I need TRANNY G56. Thanks.

what actually happen is the I think they are called detence... what holds your shifter in the gear... the little piece of metal that has groves...broke off and the ball bearing went down through the trans and toasted it The shop broke the other side off and took out the spring..bearing and the remaining tab..before it to went through the new trans. I now need a new shift assembly...the piece that bolts on the top of the transmission.

It was one of the shifter housing ball-detents, and not one of the case mounted spring-loaded balls? (shift rails have been known to come apart)

my NV's shift tower is much less complicated than the G trannies.... i'm just sayin

Yep - and their primitive design is one of the main reasons they don't shift as well.

I like my g56 also for the trouble you go to switching to the nv i bet it'd be worth it to upgrade a g56