G56 going out??

georgboy

Well I have been having this problem with a terrible shake,shimmy, on my truck here the past two weeks. When I have the truck turned all the way up and go through all the gears wide open throttle, for some reason when I get in 6th gear and get to around 85-90 the truck goes into a violent shake! You have to pull over and stop and then when you take off normal it's fine. Now I just replaced all the shocks tonight and that helped alot with the ride, but this other shake is separate I think. I got under the truck and looked everywhere again. I looked at the transmission where it meets the block and I could see the flywheel and what seems to be a bolt head! Now has anyone had this happen with them? I know I am going to have to pull the tranny but how do I tell if 6th gear is going out? How much does it cost for a rebuild on these trannys? I know that a remanufactored g56 is around 4k . Will a clutch do this? I mean the shake was so violent one of my CDs flew out the window from the visor! This time when the truck started shaking I smelt the clutch material. Thanks

How many miles are on the truck? Did you check the front end i.e. balljoints, hub bearings, steering linkage? It could be a bad front bearing causing the rotor to rub and you may be smelling brakes. I have seen the dual mass flywheels go bad but they usually cause the truck to shake at an idle aand not so much at speed.

South Bend DD = no DMF

Sounds like high-speed DW combined with extreme pucker factor (might be what you're smelling)... easy to tell when you lose 6th - sounds like poverty caps filled with gravel, accompanied by a sudden lightening of your wallet.

6th gear & a countershaft are ~ $500 & $1500 respectively.

How would I be certain it would be 6 th gone? I can go through the gears at wot all day long on the performance level. Just not on crazy Larry. Who and what are some things to modify these g56 trannys to make them stronger? Does anyone know of a good builder in the South Carolina / Georgia area? Say I was to do a total rebuild on this tranny what would that cost? Hey some of you guys that build these throw me a pm on your price to rebuild the g56 if you like. Hey atleast the gears are turning in a good direction in my head haha. Thanks

Tranny sounds

South Bend DD = no DMF

Sounds like high-speed DW combined with extreme pucker factor (might be what you're smelling)... easy to tell when you lose 6th - sounds like poverty caps filled with gravel, accompanied by a sudden lightening of your wallet.

6th gear & a countershaft are ~ $500 & $1500 respectively.

Well the only noise coming from the tranny is from the disc chatter the sb has done that since day one and I have heard of that being normal. Fifth gear has a slight I guess growl sound when the truck gets to -40 mph in fifth. 6th has absolutely no bad sound.

You'll know when 6th - or any gear - lets go!

Try not to lug the engine w/o a FluiDampR or equivalent... DMF was on there for a reason.
The undampened harmonics aren't helping the gears any, given a common rail's ability to generate extremely high tooth loads.

The Gorilla-56 project is still rolling along, but hard parts for the masses won't be available anytime soon.

Upgrades

You'll know when 6th - or any gear - lets go!

Try not to lug the engine w/o a FluiDampR or equivalent... DMF was on there for a reason.
The undampened harmonics aren't helping the gears any, given a common rail's ability to generate extremely high tooth loads.

The Gorilla-56 project is still rolling along, but hard parts for the masses won't be available anytime soon.

What are some upgrades that you guys offer for these G56 trannys? Isint there something you can do to strengthen the gears in the tranny? I have seen a couple of truck with the G56 trannys running well into the 900 hp range. Just curious.

In the works: new individual gears, high-performance coatings, case & bellhousing stiffeners, better synchros, etc. :banghead:

In the works: new individual gears, high-performance coatings, case & bellhousing stiffeners, better synchros, etc. :banghead:

Let me know when you get it figured out. What will a stock G56 hold as far as hp,with a dd clutch? Thanks