G56 starting to have problems.

georgboy

I noticed today when I went to put the truck in reverse that I felt like I was bending the shifter to get it in reverse. What could cause the trans not too want to go into reverse.

Ok I talked to Manson at south bend and told him that the truck was not going into gear easily and that the clutch was engaging closer from the floor and he is sure that I just broke one of the four ears off of the diaphram. Looking at 450 bucks and she is good to go. He said it would not hurt the trans to drive it now just not too force it into gear. He also said that he would send me there new diaphram which does not have the four ears. He said that it was nothing I did that with the big 3850 dd that the reason it broke was just the nature of the beast kinda deal.

Has anyone else broke any of the four ears on the diaphram? On the 3250 or 3850 SB DD?

Had a customer break an ear on a 3850 in a G56. Had about 40k miles on it maybe

Anyone had problems out of the new diaphram that south bend has had out for less than a year? It is suppose to do away with these four ears all together.

I had the same problem with my g56 before i even got an aftermarket clutch, mine broke and would not go into gear, now my 6th gear is out! I hate the g56 I have a nv5600 in my 04 in my sig and it goes through 3 times as much as my g56 and no issues!

the g56 will hold around 500-600 hp on the street. depending on how you shift. guys that make that 500+ and sledpull it is just a time bomb waiting to to happen.

a lot of the problem is shaft flex and i dont thing having atf is helping anything out either. 4,5,6 gear are the gears that normally go on the these tranny.

Save money in the long run run and got backwards so an NV 5600 I have both and G56 is junk IMO

Has anyone else broke any of the four ears on the diaphram? On the 3250 or 3850 SB DD?

Yes. There are two types of pressure plates offered by SB...either diaphragm or lever type. The lever type has 4 heavy "fingers", whereas the diaphragm is made of as many closely spaced fingers as can fit in a full circle.

I originally had a 3850 lever type and broke one of the fingers at about 35k miles of street driving. I replaced it with a 3250 diaphragm.

It's kindof a give and take. The lever type are alot better for sled pulling and boosted launches, but will give out sooner or later running them as a daily driver. The diaphragm type is great for daily driving, but not as robust for pulling.

I tend to double clutch most of the time, so my 3850 didn't last as long as it could've I suppose...

--Eric