G56 Weird Noise

crf450x

My trans has slowly started making a noise. It has done it for a year or two but only in 6th gear wide open. Now it happens in 4-6 driving while accelerating even lightly. I've never heard a noise like this before. If I pull the shifter toward the drivers side it stops. Or if it's not making the noise, I can push it the other way and it starts until I let go. Which would indicate its not some internal problem right? I feel like it may be something loose on the shift tower but I haven't pulled it apart to check yet. Any ideas?

Starts at about :03 on the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjVfavSdjk

The fluid only has probably 20k miles on it. Haven't checked it but been meaning to. And no leaks that I'm aware of.

The same thing happened to me in 4th and 6th. Turns out it was a chipped tooth on those gears. Eventually it broke the teeth off completely.

I have a 2012 3500 and I just went thru the same thing. Hard to get into gear and took to my dealer on December 18 and still to this date I don't have it back yet. When they tore into it, found 6-4 had teeth chiped and almost no syncro's left in anyother gears. lucky it's still under warranty and they are going to give me a new transmission. That was what happened to me.

Well...I regret posting this now...I guess I'll just drive it til it completely ****s

Back