g56 ?

smokeyourdiesel

has anybody had any trouble with oil leaking out of the top of the tranny. i cant see if it is coming out where the shifter is. the back of the engine block looks dry as much as i could see. any ideals?

there is a small plastic vent on the shift tower, i just swapped out my cluth and noticed the oil when i took my floor seal out, its no big deal.

The oil is coming from the boot. You will need to replace it. Its a known problem

that would explain the why the dealer said that the fill plug was the leaking. when i asked him how oil would run up the side of the transmission to the top he just gave me the deer in the headlight look. what a bunch of bull.

i will fix it when i put a clutch in. thanks for the help

I know this an old thread, but can you get just the boot from dodge? Just noticed mine leaking the other day, pulled the cup holders and stuff to get to it and the boot has a nice triangle shape tear in it.

I put an extra quart of fluid in mine and it started leaking out of the overflow.

mine was leaking where it mounts and when i put my clutch in i just put a little silicone around it. and i add about extra qt in it. i would see why you couldnt just get the boot. my concern would be how did it get the tear?

dunno how it tore, its a small tear maybe a 1/4 of inch in length V shaped. Looks like it was pinched. I will try a CV boot, Thanks. Anything to avoid going to the stealership. Also I'll try and get a picture up.

I fixed mine using the cv boot method. I thought at first it was v shaped tear but once I got it out of the truck and could see better, It actually just tore along the front. Its made out of some pretty thin material. The cv boot is way thicker.sorry no step by step, but Heres a before and after.

Attachments

• shifter.JPG
    shifter.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 8
  • shifter 2.JPG
    shifter 2.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
  • shifter 3.JPG
    shifter 3.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 9
Back