Garmon's / Suncoast Tranny..I pick it up tommorow..What do I expect?

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
Well, After constantly uping my HP with mods since I found out about diesel Mods, I finally sprung for a built tranny....Look at my Sig. and you'll see my mod list but I don't know what kinda power numbers I have cause I've never dynod it....The stock tranny held up for 44K miles and was still hangin in there but I could tell it was slipping a bit and was holding back performance a bit........It was also shifting weird too...stuter shifting at light throttle....Just didn't seem right.....In fact, it has always seemed to shift weird....Prob. just a Dodge thing.....

What should I expect in performance gain/ power to the ground feel???? Is it really that big of a difference????

Jeff G. is doing a SunCoast Triple Disk Cnvtr. (Moderate to High power Daily driver setup), Flex Plate, Billet Input, and Double Deep Pan..As well as his Valve Body Mods.......Thats about all I could afford/finance at this time........

What kinda power is this setup good for and up too??? The only other mods I'm looking to do is some bigger daily driver sticks/nozzles and a better dryer..Maybe a HT 62/14 or 64......I need it to spool and Tow well for daily driving, but provided enough air to get me to around 550 RWHP...

Share your experience with me so and can tell ya if my experience after I pick it up is the same....

i have a full billet suncoast in my 03 4x4 everything except for the intermediate shaft, when we first put the converter in and ran it it was extremely responsive and had a great feel to it, my forward clutches went out so we rebuilt the entire tranny, i think you will be extremely happy with the suncoast tranny. And yes it was a huge difference

Last edited:
The value of a built tranny is always overlooked.... Until you've driven one!

Once you get the shnitz to the ground you will most likely go after the tranny mods prior to big HP mods because you really want to feel them when you do them.

I think if you don't feel it in the seat of your pants, you won't like it that much.... and the TC / VB make that a reality in the 47/48RE's

W

IMHO, When you build a trans...always do MORE than you think you'll ever need. The intermediate shaft, what happens when it breaks badly?

Answer: It's like having the front axel (bull pin) on your bike slide out at speed, it takes everything with it. :doh:

If I could only do one mod to my truck it would be the tranny. It's made driving the truck so much better. It's more responsive, the power is so much better, it holds better, it drives better, it's just better. I can't describe it. I drove 496hp on the stock tranny for about 6 months and it was fast. Then I put the DTT in and dear lord, it was a different truck. I didn't realize how much power the stock tranny was sucking up. The truck is a beast now. It's hard to keep the back end in line on a wet road. It's damn near impossible to be honest with ya. The power comes on right then and right now and it never falls off. To give ya an idea of the difference, imagine your truck stock and the feeling of power you had when you put the first major power adder on. Now go and imagine that and multiply it by 5. It's so much fun it should be illegal. I love my tranny. I really do.

I very surprised he didn't recommend the intermediate shaft since you have a 4X4. Jeff built my tranny and said because of the weight of my truck and the fact it's 4X, you have to have the middle shaft cause you're guaranteed to break it.

I do run mine of the track though so maybe that's why he recommended it. I wanted it anyway cause I'd rather not be back into it anytime soon. It could always break anyway but, maybe not as soon as the stocker will. For the few more dollars it costs to do the other two shafts... you ought to have them done while he's in there.

Tell him to MAKE sure those flex plate bolts are wrenched down this time !! :bang

yea i didnt do my intermediate shaft at first cause i didnt think i wouldnt get into racing my 4x4 and then when i did, well i had to do the shaft after it took everything else out.

Jeff built mine..... search the whole internet and see if you can find a complaint....................... Best money my wife ever spent :woohoo:

I drove Tims truck in BG at the TS event. Hands down the Suncoast tranny was just plain bad ass. I want one for my truck.

My stock tranny was in great shape, running 12.40's with a Suncoast VB & a single disc converter. Jeff rebuilt it, modded the valvebody, added a billit input & Joe Webb "dishRag" tripple disc & I went right to 12.20's w/ no other mods. picked up 2 tenths, no BS!
The best money I've spent is on the tranny.