garrett bb or TN bb

Chad Mayhue

trying to decide which turbo to go with, I do alot of heavy towing so i want to keep egts down and still have a good fun street truck I am going with stage2 split inj with some of jodys tunes but dont know which turbo is best. I know the tn is rebuildable which the garrett is not. can some of you give your opinoin.:Cheer:

Turbonetics for sure. Warranty is second to none. And a very reputable company. I did some research before i bought mine. And i went with Turbonetics. And never thought twice about regreting it.

Who told you Garrett is not rebuildable.

The Ford GTP38R requires a new CHRA which is $1100+....the TN can be redone for $300 or so.

We sell both.

Depending on your towing RPM, the Garrett works best above 2100. It will move more air on the compressor side, but flow less on the turbine side (88MM to 91MM for the TN). Moving more air at low RPM will induce surging.

That means for the average tow set up, the Garrett moves more air, but at the expense of higher drive pressure.

The TN has a smaller inducer, but larger exducer, so it will make less boost at peak but has lower drive pressure.

Get an H2E............No surge, is upgradable for more power, and is different........

BWD's site...
TN BB - $1,599
Garrett 38R - $1,769.00

Beans site...
Garrett BB - $1,850
H2E - $2,400
Modded H2E - $2,999

and about 2 grand more.

:umno:
I see someone failed grade 3 math

A TN unit is 1600 on BWD site
If you get the high-flo outlet, ceramic coatings and non EBPV "the goodies"
Its just over 2000

An H2E from beans is 2400.........So really I dont see where you 2000 more from.......

Max difference in price is 800,.........Sorry to burst your bubble :poke:

On top of that the H2E can be upgraded for way cheaper than the TN units.....Or the Garrett for that matter.

um, if you buy a TN t-series, you can upgrade it for about the same (if not less) than the H2e. all the way up to 82mm. can the H2e do that?

that said, i'd do the TN drop in.

Last edited:
Sure, the T-series............Starting with the small turbo at 2300 bones..........And it only goes up from there.............
And you still need a mounting kit for the T4 flange.............

Sure, the T-series............Starting with the small turbo at 2300 bones..........And it only goes up from there.............
And you still need a mounting kit for the T4 flange.............

sure... the whole kit sells for $2975, choice of 66-76mm at that price... god i wish i knew everything like you do.

sure... the whole kit sells for $2975, choice of 66-76mm at that price... god i wish i knew everything like you do.

Then why would you suggest the TN drop in ?

Where is this kit online ? Never seen one on BWD, all i found was the turbos

Dieselboy said:
Then why would you suggest the TN drop in ?

Where is this kit online ? Never seen one on BWD, all i found was the turbos
the title of the thread is "garrett bb or TN bb". hence i gave my recommendation. the discussion digressed from there.
you read PSN plenty, did you miss the stage 2 thread? it says you read it at the bottom. http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7447&page=2
$2995, i was $20 too low.
http://www.shop.blackwidowdiesel.com/product.sc?categoryId=24&productId=153

Last edited:
Nice looking kit..........

Personally Id rather the H2E.........Ill wait till the TN is prooven..............

Either or, for a drop in..........PDR has one coming out that compared to a Garrett GT38 makes 4 less HP on the dyno and has 50* more EGTs however at almost half the cost and is rebuildable..............I even went for a ride in PDRs test truck today, I was quite impressed............It is also able to be rebuilt with different size comp wheels and exhaust housings............

tn bb rocks, love it on my tow rig! alot better then a friends truck with the other bb

I just got a TN waiting for it to get here.. CANNOT WAIT!! Have never heard anything bad about it. Will let ya know..