Garrett turbo?

12v kid

Speed comes at a price...
I have a garrett turbo that could be mine if i do some welding/repairs on this guys dumpers on a saturday so idk if its worth it or not but anyways on to the turbo its a garrett turbo is in brand new condition. Whats it worth? Good for a primary on my 12v...? I dont no much about garrett turbo i dont belive it is ball bearing. Thanks for any help.

* comp housing A/R.75

* comp wheel 70mmx102mm

* turbine housing A/R.96

* turbine wheel 86mmx98mm

* #s on the CHRA is 408752

* intake/exhaust is 5''

* outlet on comp housing is like 3.75"

Wow, you're impatient!

It is for sure a TV7X series unit, possibly from a Detroit. There were many variations of these chargers. It can be rebuilt by any skilled turbo shop.

They are old skool but can work just fine depending on what you're trying to do with it. It's not a very large compressor, so it will provide somewhat smaller output than an everyday GT42. The turbine section is a bit healthier in terms of flow and there are other housings out there if needed (assuming you can find them).

Will it work for a primary in a set of twins? Hard to say because you haven't supplied enough info about how hard you want to spin the motor and what you plant to do with it (tow/pull/drag etc).

Yes I was told it came off a Detroit 60 series. Sorry for being impatient just was getting currious lol. I dont plan to run the truck very hard just a DD and tow rig. The most is tows is about 15,000lbs. I talked to a turbo shop in my area he also siad its "tv series" He said he probable has a good used 1.15 A/R turbine housing for it if i wanted it. How fast would spool up be under my 35/40 hybrid with the truck in my sig? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no idea. Like I said it is not that big of a charger so with the right setup, I think it could be made to work....but I am no expert on twins.

With a 1.15 housing it would make a nice set of towing twins, as it would be similar to running an S472, with the small turbine wheel / housing. If pushed it could probably support close to 700hp, but it would be toasty at that level. For 450-600hp it would be fine.

Several units used a CHRA with those #'s. TV73, TV75 also. Good chargers.....many options out there for them. Just not many people have access to diesel OE parts from Garrett. The comp wheel is a low pressure wheel and the shaft is not designed for alot of abuse as that CHRA if I remember right is a narrow journal spacing. Good unit for a mild setup though.

Well i dont plan to push it very hard id be happy with 450-500hp. I know there are plenty more options for turbos but if it dosent cost me any money, the money I save can be used for the pluming. What do you guys think its worth its in great shape. Is it worth a day working in his shop for it? What would spool up be like with my 35'' tires and 3.55 gears? My first set of twins I did a box stock hx35 and a ht3b with a 26cm^ turbine housing it spooled good but towing it had a dead spot between like 60-75mph anything over that and they would pull like mad. I read through "silvercummins96" thread on here and he used a hx35/gt42 was wondering if this would compare if I can get a 1.15 a/r turbine housing? Thanks for all the great info.

Last edited:
Well its not mine so I guess im up $1 :woohoo: Just want to be fair with the guy.

Any idea on what its worth? Like I said its in great shape. Thanks for the help.

Thats what I was thinking but didnt want to low ball him or over pay. I think im gonna just offer him $350 and see what he says. Thanks for the input.