Garrett Water Cooled Ball Bearing Turbo for 3rd Gen Kit, Complete

BigD-Diesels

Journeyman Mechanic
Thinking about going back to a stock looking turbo for California Inspection reasons. This is an amazing turbo, hate to part with it.... Comes complete with water lines and everything. Low miles, and it and is in great condition. This was well over $2k for me asking $1250 + shipping

They call it a 82mm Compressor Wheel but I think thats the exducer side, has a 72.5mm/78mm Exhaust wheel and Exhaust housing a/r is .89

The compressor map shows it flows very similar to a regular 62mm turbo but has a much better exhaust side and is ball bearing so it's capable of allot higher topend.

Amazingly fast spool, had it on a 06 truck with just a Smarty and it was just as quick if not quicker than stock. Has a setup for the trucks computer to control the boost like the factory turbo does, no code throwing problems.
Ships from Northern California
Paypal Please

Thanks

Here is what the ads say about the turbo

These Garrett upgradePowerMax Dodge Turbo kits all Feature;
•A Garrett exclusive ball bearing cartridge for unbeatable response, efficiency, and durability. Elimination of the thrust bearing eliminates Failures at elevated boost levels
•Advanced GT-series wheel designs that ensure top performance, lower back pressure and reduced intake and exhaust gas temperatures.
•Patented Garrett® dual ball-bearing cartridge that offers unbeatable low drag response and the durability required at elevated boost levels.
•The upgrade results in lower intake and exhaust gas temperatures as well as reduced backpressure for more efficient air flow
•Water-cooled center section with a patented dual ball-bearing center section results in higher durability and longer turbo life
•Oil inlet fitting features a built in restrictor for worry-free operation
•High flow compressor wheels move air quickly and powerfully

Garrett PowerMax, Turbo Kit for 3rd generation (03-07) Dodge 5.9L For 2500 & 3500 5.9L Dodge Ram Diesel Trucks

•The GT3782R dual ball-bearing turbo
•82mm compressor wheel with 50 trim (58 lbs. per. min.)
•Increased surge margin
•Ideal for towing
•Provides the best boost response of the three stages
•GT37, 78 Trim Turbine with .89a/r Turbine Housing (29 lbs. per. min.)
•Capable of an additional 200+hp increase over stock

Is it a Stage 1 or 2? If you have a part number that would help.

You should consider trying to get past the inspection with that turbo. Go to a Test Only station. Even though it has water lines and says Garrett they probably won't spot it. Purple or chrome plated turbos or twins I wouldn't try it.

I see that you're a mechanic with said how much trouble do you think it would be to adapt this to an 01 2nd gen? Also where in northern Ca. are you located?

Last edited:
I see that you're a mechanic with said how much trouble do you think it would be to adapt this to an 01 2nd gen? Also where in northern Ca. are you located?
Until BigD answers I will tell you that Garrett makes these to bolt onto stock Dodges and they have different plumbing to suit the Gen 1,2,3. So if his is the one designed for a late 5.9 then it has the compressor cover made with a 90* outlet for the charge air tube to go straight to the cooler. Also a T3 flange and it came set up to fit a stock 4" downpipe. Garrett makes adaptors for smaller exhausts. He should tell us if it's a Stage 1 or 2 though. It's definately not a Stage 3.

Hey, sorry guys, familt stuff... so Yeah, It's a stage 1 turbo. I had them look up the model number. It has a seperate elbow though that attaches to it on the outlet, it's not a cast in elbow outlet, but it winds up in the same spot at stock.

Thanks

Hey, sorry guys, familt stuff... so Yeah, It's a stage 1 turbo. I had them look up the model number. It has a seperate elbow though that attaches to it on the outlet, it's not a cast in elbow outlet, but it winds up in the same spot at stock.
Thanks
Cool. I still think you ought to keep it BigD. It doesn't look too radical if you know what I mean. But your price is good if it's in great shape. The bearing and shaft in those R model Garretts don't usually get screwed up from oil problems so the resale value should be higher than the garden variety turbos.

Just thought I would let you know...... I talked to a smog shop here in socal about my truck which will have a 351ve on it when I get it running. They said that they will look at it an a factory upgrade and pass it. My truck is a 2000. There is also a guy on here that went in with an 03 with a s300 and they passed his truck. He said they never even looked. I think you should call around and see if you can get a pre-inspection and get an opinion on if they will pass it. you could just try and see what happens.

Back