Gas to Cummins swap for sled pulling

BigRed02

Environmental polluter
Well me and my dad have talked about putting together a pulling truck for literally 10 years, so the other day I went on the search for a good donor truck to tear apart and build up for pulling and it seems like everybody wants 15 grand for a decent truck, that's just unrealistic for something that will never touch the road again.

The entertaining thing I found were how many gas (v10 and v8) trucks are in the 1,500-2,000 price range and they are mint! So that's what gave me the idea hell it's almost the same truck but it has a gas motor instead of a cummins.

I haven't been on the forum that long but I do a lot of reading so I'm turning to you guy's!

My plan would be to swap the truck and then start into work stock to work my way on up to 2.6 eventually

Since the truck isn't going on the road what all is necessary to get it to run?

For the drivetrain I think a nv4500 swap is going to be the biggie, my questions are what all parts do I need to put a nv4500 in it and should I do the south bend hydraulic upgrade?

As far as a transfer case a couple local guys swear by the np271 for pulling. Does anyone have any experience putting a np271 in behind a nv4500

I know I'm kind of rambling on and thinking out loud so if anyone has any experience, ideas or anything helpful I would greatly appreciate input (don't say oh just by a cummins and build it, I will if you pay for it) thanks guys hope to hear from you

I would absolutely buy a gas 3/4 ton to start with and swap in a 12v. You can get a running truck in great shape for cheap. Sell the running gear to make it even cheaper then buy what you need to stick back in it. I would run a nv4500 np241 holds up fine and is lighter than a np271.

You'll def wanna do the hydraulic upgrade when you get to that point. Dual disk clutches are a huge pain otherwise. Are you gonna use aftermarket guages for oil pressure, coolant temp, and rpms, etc?

Buy a v10 5spd and be done. Motor mounts are the same, trans is the same, the Dana 80 will be there, and you might get lucky on a 241dhd. At that point you are in great shape.

Run the vin on my puller and it comes up as a 96 Dodge with a 318. They are easier to deal with all the way around, and are usually less drenched in oil. :lolly:

Are you gonna use aftermarket guages for oil pressure, coolant temp, and rpms, etc?

Definately I'm not going to use any of the cluster or anything in the dash besides the switches for the lights, the good thing about procrastinating on building something is that I have a lot of 2nd gen parts and a bunch of auto meter gauges I got at a sprint car swap meet. I got a 10k tach for $75 that I had in a ramcharger for a while :rockwoot:

Run the vin on my puller and it comes up as a 96 Dodge with a 318. They are easier to deal with all the way around, and are usually less drenched in oil. :lolly:

Is the drivetrain mounts all that different in v8 gas trucks? I know I'm not going to use the rear end if it's coming out of a 3/4 v8 truck. Are cummins mounts bolt in?

Yeah everything seems like it's the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

This might turn into a build thread!!! well i found a 96 ext cab long bed v10 5spd about 30 miles from my house for $2500 bucks and i might go to look at it this weekend :pop: so is there anything i should look for?

If you are looking at it for a puller there isn't much to look at. Like i said before an hd case is a plus, but beyond that as long as the drivetrain is good you should be good. I look at it as if you are basically buying a body, nv4500, and dana 80. A running v10 might help you recoup some of the upfront cost but don't count on it for your budget.

All the 2nd gen trucks including the 1500s have the same forward frame section (engine mounts and trans mount holes) . The factory diesel mounts work for the engine and the 3/4t and 1t trans cross members are universal I think.

Went and looked at the truck today, I don't want to talk about it.... Nv barley goes into any gears and frame is almost broken in half at the leaf spring mount, let's just say il be looking for another LOL

Went and looked at the truck today, I don't want to talk about it.... Nv barley goes into any gears and frame is almost broken in half at the leaf spring mount, let's just say il be looking for another LOL

Bummer. I'm hoping you do this and document it. My 12V is rusted to hell and I have been looking for a clean 12V to swap my fun stuff too, but maybe a V8 ram would be a better swap!

Are the axles the same? I wouldn't mind using them for my YJ :rockwoot:

Bummer. I'm hoping you do this and document it. My 12V is rusted to hell and I have been looking for a clean 12V to swap my fun stuff too, but maybe a V8 ram would be a better swap!

Are the axles the same? I wouldn't mind using them for my YJ :rockwoot:

most v8 2500's are dana 60's front and back, some have a dana 44 in the front which will not hold a cummins. if you find one with dana 60's just swap a 70 or a 80 in the back and its the same as a cummins.

Anyway got a new job starting monday!!!! so hopefully i will have a little bit more money to get a good project truck bought. $1200 bucks every 2 weeks :rockwoot: should have a pulling truck built in no time!!