Gasket sealant and assembly lube

roachie

Taco Master
Just wondering what everyone is using. I have used permatex and stp oil treatment for years. My last build was the k20 honda engine and I used some random assy lube.

Thinking about indian head on this one.......ideas?

Edit title: Sealant*

I use permatex ultra black, or ultra gray, and lubriplate 105 for lube, hasn't let me down yet... On the stuff that's a real bit#h to get apart and carries some pressure I use permatex right stuff in the cheese whiz can, that stuff is amazing

Ford Grey and BG Pre Lube. Use a couple tubes of each a week.

CAT gasket sealer is killer sealant...

we used lubriplate on all of our big compressors and engines, but I've always used straight Lucas oil treatment as assembly lube for bearings and such

Another vote for Lubriplate; good stuff. I'm not to hung up on any particular sealant. Just don't use Indian Head,or any other shellac for that matter, you'll never get it apart. There's only a few places where The Chief is called for on an engine.

lubriplate for assmbly lube, and ford grey gasket maker from ford to make gaskets. I do all my paper, cork and rubber gaskets dry like there suposed to be and never have leaks. But if i need to use sealer to make a gasket i use the ford grey it is very very good stuff.

Hmmm, I kinda want to use indian head now. I used the black stuff in the cheese whiz can on my fummins engine, so far no leaks.

I think the lube I used was permatex assy lube, it was kinda light weight and I worry about it on the rings.

Curious on the indian and headgaskets too.

Last time we put the side cover and intake on we used the Permatex Grey works great no leaks.

I have also used the blue Cat anerobic stuff but can't get it locally anymore.

BBD

We use Permatex "Right Stuff" on almost everything that doesen't take a gasket and even on somethings where the gasket design isn't enough to prevent a leak...awesome stuff!

For assy. lube it's Federal Mogul(FP Diesel) engine assy lube.

Last edited:
Last time we put the side cover and intake on we used the Permatex Grey works great no leaks.

I have also used the blue Cat anerobic stuff but can't get it locally anymore.

BBD

Cat stopped offering alot of products like certain sealers, lubricants, tools, etc. after they stopped making truck engines. I always liked the blue anerobic sealer for paper oil pan gaskets; worked awesome.

use indian head shellac on freeze plugs, and dipstick tubes in the block, loctite ultra grey rtv for joints without a gasket, and i use something called gasgacinch on the paper gaskets for the oil pans, gear housing/front cover/rear seal carrier etc., use lubriplate 105 on all internal parts except the rings, they get good old 15w40, and lots of it!

Wes