gauge cluster

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
a buddy of mine has an 06 with already 100k + miles.

we found a totalled 06 (same setup, tranny, etc) with only 32k miles on it.

the guy only wants 400 for the cluster.

if he buys the cluster and installs it in his truck, how many miles will show on the odometer?

he is NOT trying to do warranty claims (as his truck is already in dodge's computer with more then 100k miles on it) he just wants a different cluster. he wants to do some custom painting to it but incase he messes up he wants his factory guage cluster.

I think it's gonna say what the truck you take it off of had.
The odometer, trip odometer, and engine hours information is stored in the instrument cluster memory. So much is controlled by the ECM anymore.... I here in the 08's you won't be able to pull out the radio without throwing a code !

On a Ford you have to take it to the dealer and have something reset before the new cluster will even work and then it'll show the original truck's mileage...not the donor truck's.

well he went ahead and bought the cluster.

he painted it tonight.

we are gonna install in the morning but my question is, if he racks up 20k miles (just a random number) then wants his factory cluster to install back in, will the mileage be what was left on the factory cluster or what?

I know for a fact that the 2nd gens would read however many miles you had on it with the factory cluster as it would with a different one. My brother and I tried it once when we both had 2nd gens just to see and it still read the same no matter what cluster was in there.