gear swap gone wrong

drice

A little history.
We swapped 4.88 for our old 3.54 gears last week. We took our time and thought we got everything set up correctly. Had good patterns and about .005 -.006 backlash. So last night we fire up the truck to test it. (still on jack stands w/o wheels) We hear a clanking noise coming from the rear drive shaft so we figure that the drive shaft is hitting loops. (truck in 5 gear idling maybe 1 min) So we pull everything down and realign the loops where there is no contact. Start truck back up noise continues lay under truck while in gear searching for noise, decide to kill truck, right before I kill it there is a noise from the front end and the engine dies.(truck in 5 gear idling maybe 3 min) Evidently the noise was actually coming form the front end and thru the t-case to the rear drive shaft.

Remove front carrier tonight and at least the rear bearing on the pinion is welded to the pinion probably both bearings because I heated the rear bearing to no avail. Then tried to cut the bearing out to no avail.

So what did we do wrong to destroy the pinion bearing so fast (less than 5 min idling)???
It felt like it was pulling up tight on the shims when we installed it.

Now for a couple of questions and my ideas.

First off the new heavy-duty front drive shaft is a little long. I mean that I have to jack the t-case up to get them in place but I did didn’t notice any obvious pressure on the pinion once the u-joints where in the yokes but there was NO play in the drive shaft. My thinking is that maybe there was pressure on the pinion that caused the bearing to get excessively hot and die. It that a possibility?? P.S. the drive shaft is going to be shortened tomorrow.

Also now that I’m going to do this again in a spare Dana 60 I have a few questions that I wasn’t sure of the first time.

1. The 3.54 gears had a crush sleeve but the 4.88 shaft looks like is supposed to use shims behind the races like the rear Dana 80 instead of the crush sleeve. Is that assumption correct?
2. Which oil slinger are you supposed to use with the 4.88 the large one like the what was on the 3.54 or the smaller ones.

Sorry so long hope it make sense.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Daniel

sounds like your pinion preload was way to tight... did you measure preload? the preload shims go on the shank of the pinion gear not behind or under the lower pinion bearing (those are for pinion depth). it doesnt matter what slinger you use just know that IS a shim...

I did not measure preload (im an idiot) but it didnt feel real tight. the more i think about it the more i dont remember checking preload after the last shim change.
thanks for the help.

what should the preload be set at?

15 in pounds used bearings 25 in pounds new bearings search internet for gear brand pre load

You set that at rotational force of 15 inch pounds and the ring gear is shimmed to the pinion

Back