Gear Swap Pros & Cons

D45

I am currently running 4.10s, front and rear of course

I am looking into, and seriously considering, a swap over to 4.56s

What is the typical price range to install gears?

I was hoping to put the RPMs back and regain some power, and MPGs......especially since I am running 37s

I am thinking a free spin hub kit, new ball joints (Carli or Dynatrac), and some 4.56s would greatly help with power and free up some MPGs

Worthwhile or no?

i think the 04 still had a dana 80-60 combo? cant remember the exact year of the switch to the AAM 11.5in.... at any rate, if you all are considering is better MPG's the free spin hub kit would obviously help, and any sort of taller gear, but with your 6in lift in your sig and 37's i think you'd have to walk a fine line with too tall of a gear, have you considered 3:73 at all? they came in the AAM 11.5 rear ends...

04 had the AAM axles. I think the free spin kit would be tough to recover your money in MPG, being they start about $1400.

I think at this point and time, I will just stick with the quest to find the best free spin hub conversion

I have been happy with the 4.10s......just need to throw in some fresh Amsoil diff fluid

I got mine here: EMS Offroad

Great guys to deal with as well. They may give you a deal if you call. I know they make the kits custom and the hubs are warn.

Ive put a few spyntec kits on, great kits, qualityand probly one of the best prices you will find, but the hubs stick out a Mile. Dynatrac builds the best one imo.

Ive put a few spyntec kits on, great kits, qualityand probly one of the best prices you will find, but the hubs stick out a Mile. Dynatrac builds the best one imo.

Have you put on the shorty kit yet? It is a lot shorter.

Have you put on the shorty kit yet? It is a lot shorter.

Didnt know they had one now, in that case i would definitely consider them. Good product. Put a few sets on oilfield trucks that get beat hard and no problems. Been a couple years to

The Spyntech Shorty kit is supposed to be very nice and complete, with the shortest hubs on the market

I am spinning 1800 rpms at 70 mph, good combo for now

Seriously? do you still the 4:10's you originally posted? maybe i missed something? i turn 2000 rpms at 60mph? maybe im way off but that is what my tach and speedo read...

oh! duhh sorry im a idiot and didnt read it all.... im on 33's myself turning 2000rpms at 60 wouldnt think it would make that much difference, obviously im not up to par with gearing...

I think 4.56s would be a mistake if you're after fuel mileage or drive interstate. I'm running 37s with 3.73's, and I think it's about perfect.

If you're doing a free spin kit for the fuel savings, don't bother. Seriously. I put a Dynatrac kit on mine with the Dynalock hubs. It made zero noticeable difference in fuel mileage. The people that claim fuel economy improvement likely have near stock-height trucks running A/T or H/T tires, or they are stretching the truth a little.

If you're running a lifted truck on 37s, the parasitic drag from the front diff is a lot smaller part of the equation than on a stock truck.

That being said, the Dynatrac kit is great. Just not from a fuel mileage perspective.

ry%3D400

With a 37 x 13.50 tire, the hubs don't stick out at all.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

--Eric

Anyone running 35" tires, 48re and 3.73's and swapped to 4.10's? Likes/regrets? I'm ok on the highway, except when towing gets hotter (egt's) quicker, but feels sluggish in stop n' go traffic. Thanks.

Back