Gearing/exhaust opinions

Smoker17

sPoolinfOol
Hi I'm new here, still readin enough to learn ****.

I've got a stock 98 24valve, with the auto. I want to run 38's and still be able to tow my rockbuggy, and maybe spank some ricers.I will upgrade all performance stuff as soon as i find out whats good. WHat would you reccomend for ring and pnion gears? Considering a true 38 is about a true 36, I'm thinking around 4.10-4.56, is 4.88's too low? Will my shift points int eh tranny be off if i just regear? do i have to get the tranny adjusted?

another thing, who has found the best deal shipped on a 5'' exhaust kit from teh header back for a 98 cummins? I would like to have a mbrp 409 kit, but damn its expensive.

Sorry for the jumbled mess

let me know what you guys think and ran :thankyou2:

I'm assuming you have the 3:55's in the truck now, let me tell you, think more along the lines of 3:73's MAYBE! I run a true 34' tire and tow 15k on a regular basis with 3:55's :evil, but I do have the 6spd so in low speed areas I just drop a gear and keep chugging. That truck with a light box and a small set of injectors will make ungodly amounts of torque for towing. I would upgrade power and tranny and drive it for a while before you regear it.

PM Zukgod, he had a 24V wth 38's on it, he can tell you more about how the truck does.

I have run up to a 40" tire with my 4.10s. I like the gearing. Right now I am running some 38" ssrs which I think is perfect. Around 75mph you cruise at 2krpm with an auto.

Josh

oh geez my truck running 2k at 70 mph maybe i need to look at my gearing anyone know if was specific for a 2002 2500 qc lwb 4x4r ?

jambbii said:
I have run up to a 40" tire with my 4.10s. I like the gearing. Right now I am running some 38" ssrs which I think is perfect. Around 75mph you cruise at 2krpm with an auto.

Josh

Jambbi I love your truck, fawkin bad ass. I need to build a bumper like yours. HOw did u shear off the output of the tranny? did u upgrade that? DO you think I would be ok with a stock cummins and 4.10's with 38's or lower, since im not running twins or any power mod righ tnow.

Last edited:
02 dodge4x4 5.9 said:
oh geez my truck running 2k at 70 mph maybe i need to look at my gearing anyone know if was specific for a 2002 2500 qc lwb 4x4r ?

Benji, you have 3:55's in your truck, don't sweat it :ylsuper:

I have a buddy that has 4.10s and 37 in nitto grappers on 20 inch rims and he is getting 19 mpg around town if he stays out of the go pedal and it helps him off the line as well.

im running 4:10s in my 02 24valvewith a 6speed and 34' and twins and i run 2000 to 2200 at 70mph should i look into gears

TwinCummins02 said:
im running 4:10s in my 02 24valvewith a 6speed and 34' and twins and i run 2000 to 2200 at 70mph should i look into gears

Why??? I run 34's with 3:55 gears, at 2k RPM it's clocking at 76-77 MPH, 70 MPH is about 1800RPM and the truck will still pull anything I hook behind it with no problem.

Remember that a Cummins LIKES low RPM grunting, running 70MPH with the house in tow (40ft and 15K of fifth wheel) I have no problems with hills or passing slower vehicles. Smoker17, get you a few power mods done and a built tranny, 38's with 4:10 gears will be just perfect IMHO.

Last edited:
Billysgoat said:
Why??? I run 34's with 3:55 gears, at 2k RPM it's clocking at 76-77 MPH, 70 MPH is about 1800RPM and the truck will still pull anything I hook behind it with no problem.

Remember that a Cummins LIKES low RPM grunting, running 70MPH with the house in tow (40ft and 15K of fifth wheel) I have no problems with hills or passing slower vehicles. Smoker17, get you a few power mods done and a built tranny, 38's with 4:10 gears will be just perfect IMHO.

thanks for info goat! we'll do!