Gears

w_wilson

I'm runnung 3.73 gears with 37" tires, been thinking about changing over to 4.56 gears. Has anyone done this and are the benefits worth the expense?

Changing gears would help get you back into the powerband of the motor at certain speeds, lower EGTs and make it easier on your motor and trans. Overall less strain on the truck to turn the bigger meats.

Personally....with 37" tires, I'd stick with 4.30 gears

I run 4.56s with my 38s.....much better vs. the 38s with 3.73s. I used to have to click the O/D off at lower speeds to keep from lugging the motor too much and to keep the EGTs down. I definately think it was worth the expense....saved on install since I installed them with a buddy of mine (did ARBs at the same time).

Hope this helps.

I used to run 4.30's when I had 37's. It was perfect. I am now going to 5.13's to work with my 41's.

I had 36" Swampers with 3:73 and would have loved to have a 4:30 or a 4:56 ..if you have plans of going bigger in the near future I'd go with the 4:56 gear..Just my $.02

Good point....if you plan on going to 38-40s definately go with the 4.56s now.

plenty of room to grow another inch, 38 are in the future. I think the 4.56 is the way to go. Any advice on gear companies to look at?

Precision Gear, without a doubt.....very high quality gears, easy to setup, etc..
Be sure to follow the specified break-in procedure after they are installed.

Back