Get hot, break ****, why?

Nick24v

Got a odd metal on metal spinning noise that would go on for like 4 seconds after I shut the truck down.

Turned out to be the result of a broken bolt on the V-band that held the compressor housing and turbine housing together. Compressor housing sagged down and murdered the turbine wheel against the housing.....

Is this semi common? I would think this is due to heat but the truck rarely breaks EGTs of 1k...Thoughts?

Bad luck, fatigue, faulty part, and over tightening probably all played a role in it breaking. Its not a common issue that i am aware of.

Got a odd metal on metal spinning noise that would go on for like 4 seconds after I shut the truck down.

Turned out to be the result of a broken bolt on the V-band that held the compressor housing and turbine housing together. Compressor housing sagged down and murdered the turbine wheel against the housing.....

Is this semi common? I would think this is due to heat but the truck rarely breaks EGTs of 1k...Thoughts?

Which clamp holds them both together? I was thinking one held turbine housing one, and one held compressor on. I would tihnk maybe something was in a bind when tightened down, and over time tweaked some and broke the bolt.

Excuse my terminology if things don't make sense lol. The clamp in the middle of the turbo, holding the hot and cold side together.

If it is a stock turbo then I am assuming you are referencing what holds the hot side to the center section since the cold side uses a BF snap ring for the cover.

Over tightening is what causes v-bands to break pretty much 100% of the time lol. Those are a rather small v-band so it doesn't take much to over do it.

Back